popping while turning and braking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popping while turning and braking.

I was wondering what it could be and wanted to get an idea before i started ripping things apart. Erika is my only car at the moment.

So sometimes when im driving slow, like coming to a light there is a popping sound that can be felt through the brake pedal. As the car slows the popping interval slows.

It is super noticeable when i am applying the brakes and doing parking lot type of maneuvering. I read it could be the inner tie rod or the brake disk hardware. My cv joints have about 10 k on them so im thinking its not them. The pop is also way to slow to be that.

Any thing else i should look for?
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

If you jack up the front end and support it on jack stands or concrete blocks or something really solid you can push and pull on different parts and even start the engine and try turning and braking and see if you can isolate the noise. If you take it to a service station the mechanic will put it up on the lift and go around pushing and pulling on the different parts, same as you can do at home. Of course you won't have the weight of the car on the suspension so you can also take the car to an empty parking lot and try driving backwards and forwards while braking, also braking while tuning in tight circles backwards and forwards to see when it occurs. Good luck.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

This is probably a stretch but how are the LCA's keep us informed what you fine. good luck
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I replaced lcas and inner and outer tie rods about 30 k miles ago. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side.
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Jack it up, put it in gear, ride the gas petal with brakes and turn sharp , it'll allow you to load axles with torque to find loose cv sockets...

They usually start making noise only when torque and turning, rarely just only turning.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
          Last edited by jason_; 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Mine did this too. I replaced the ball joint bolt, someone put one in there that did not have a shank that went all the way through so it finally wire down the threads and allowed it to slop around but inly under load and the weight of the car turning. It woukd pop and in my case it actually got si bad that it would change my alignment. When I jacked it up and tried to pull the wheel back and forth or up and down it was just fine because it wasnt under the weight if the car. Replaced it and boom it was fine. Now I notice it slightly on the other side of the car so I have to replace that one next but its all good now that I thin k I know whats up. Hope this helps. Check it out veggie you start tearing the whole assembly apart. The bolt well have some weare on it if this is the case. It doesn't have to be much, when it comes to suspension and the knuckle stuff a 32 of an inch matters
            -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
            -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Ok. Ill be sure to inspect the balljoints and make sure they are torqued correctly. Could you also fee. Popping though the brake petal bobbyspider
              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Yurp. Again some times when I would brake (later as I let it get worse and ignored it till I actually started fearing for my life) I would hit the brakes and it would pop and chang alignment them as well! Dont ignore this problem it will continually get worse! There should be someone here who has the part number fire that bolt I don't but put the one that belongs there back in it! Do you have camber bolts? If you do make sure they are dog tight and are the ones that belong there as well. again simple place to start befire you take your whole junk apart.
                -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

I don't have camber bolts and i will check it tonight. I was experimenting with some off brand parts when i redid someof the front. A decision i am starting to regret.
                  95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

On a note, my last clunking popping was from worn steering knuckle where ball joint stub goes through. Egg shaped

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

So day one diagnosis. Can't isolate the problem lol. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side but the inner side of the driver tire is wearing faster than the outer. Maybe related maybe not. Also when i push real hard on the top of the passenger tire as ut sits on the ground i can feel a little bit of a pop. It may be because iam missing one lugnut on the passenger side?

Edit. Also, the rubber boot on both outrt tie rods is cracked teal good.
                      Last edited by Chobobulous; 06-06-2013, 10:57 PM.
                      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
                        So day one diagnosis. Can't isolate the problem lol. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side but the inner side of the driver tire is wearing faster than the outer. Maybe related maybe not. Also when i push real hard on the top of the passenger tire as ut sits on the ground i can feel a little bit of a pop. It may be because iam missing one lugnut on the passenger side?

Edit. Also, the rubber boot on both outrt tie rods is cracked teal good.
                        Mines having that same popping in the pedal, but only when I brake. No popping in turns. I replaced pads, rotors, bearings, and am currently working on the lcas, I'll keep you up to date on how that turns out

Sent from Galaxy S4 TAPATALK2
                        Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

Working...
                        X