MTX dipstick/speedo gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTX dipstick/speedo gear

Tried to take the MTX dipstick out today to check fluid & add ZMax. I could not get it out of the trany. Yas I removed the speedo cable & the screw that holds it. It would not budge,I even gentley bumped it with a rubber hammer. Any ideas or hints?
    If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

When i don't take Mine out for a long while sometimes i have to rotate it while pulling up. Maybe That would help you too?
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Whenever I have one that's troublesome I shoot a little PB Blaster around the seal and give it some time to soak down to the o-r-ring. Then I take a large open end wrench that fits the flats of the mounting tab and gently rotate the housing a few degrees in each direction until it loosens up. I can't remember the exact wrench size I use....maybe a 19mm? You can use a large adjustable too but I prefer a thinner standard wrench since that's a tight area.

Channel Locks or pliers will work too but you risk chewing up the edges of the mounting tab if you have to get heavy handed with it.
      Last edited by Zanzer; 06-13-2013, 07:28 PM.
      If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
      Zulu Ministries

Comment

Twisting motion is what you want in order to break the seal. Mine readily come out now but I do recall the first time around was a chore. You should be able to reach in from up top (rather than getting under the car) with a pair of vicegrips or some such and wiggle and twist until the sucker comes loose.

Comment

Thanks all for the replys! Gonna try again today.

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

got the speedo gear/dipstick out. Fluide was very low, add ATF fluid & 6oz bottle of ZMzx Trans Formula, BUT I broke the tab that locks the gear/dipstick in place!!! I broke it with my hand as I was twisting the part back and forth. Anyone got an extra for sale?

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Is it safe to drive with the tab broken?

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

I forgot to ask the other day,does anyone know how much fluid is needed to fill from Low to High mark? I know its 2.6qts overall. I already used 1qt.! Uaed Royal Purple MaxAFT.

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

No onehas any idea on the amount of Trans fluid between High & Low marks?

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Working...
                  X