Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horrible scraping sound when clutch is released.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
    why would you need a write up when i used all those technical words and detailed discription lol
    Well, y'know...for the layperson LOL. Typically when someone mentions "thingies" my first thoughts aren't about transmission parts :mrgreen:

Word association games always cause me trouble :toothy9:

Originally posted by Americanclassicg View Post
    Alright, I just checked the level. Well, I tried. There is no fluid visible through that hole. I also couldn't reach any with my finger. I will try to get a ride to the auto parts store to get some fluid tomorrow, and see if that improves it. I dont like unknowns. Haha.
    I agree with not liking unknowns. This may help you with the fluid check procedure:

If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
    Zulu Ministries

Comment

Hey guys who are running ATF.You know difficult it can be to actually see the fluid on the sleeve....So I painted a white stripe vertically on the sleeve. Now no more second looking,fluid level is easy to read against the white contrast. :thumbs_up:
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Instead of trying to use the gear housing for a dip stick, a pita, I just measured the markings on it and eyeballed the fluid level in the gear hole. I think it should be about an inch down from the top of the trans.
        Or I guess you could pick up a piece of wire or something and make yourself a little dip stick.
        Last edited by denguy; 06-15-2013, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
          Instead of trying to use the gear housing for a dip stick, a pita, I just measured the markings on it and eyeballed the fluid level in the gear hole. I think it should be about an inch down from the top of the trans.
          Or I guess you could pick up a piece of wire or something and make yourself a little dip stick.
          Seeing ATF on wire sounds like it may be even harder to see. You have to pull the housing out to check the level right? The paint just makes it easier for me to see the fluid on the factory notch's.

Comment

Welp, I pulled the drain plug, and nothing came out. Nothing. It was bone dry.

So, I added trans just short of three quarts of ATF. After a few seconds of spinning it in neutral, the sound went away completely. A drive around the block went beautifully. I then made the 1 mile journey to my school campus, and it still work beautifully.

Im remaining apprehensive, but I think I might not be in too deep of trouble.

Also, I love these cars.
            '97 Aspire

Comment

OUCH!!!!

Hope you got the fluid in there in time, before it did much damage. Keep an eye out for leaks around the driveaxle seals.
              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

So, I added trans just short of three quarts of ATF. After a few seconds of spinning it in neutral, the sound went away completely. A drive around the block went beautifully. I then made the 1 mile journey to my school campus, and it still work beautifully.

Im remaining apprehensive, but I think I might not be in too deep of trouble.

Also, I love these cars.
                You need to look for the leak probably the axle seals. But I would highly recommend you drain the fluid this weekend. By running it low you created some premature wear.Draining the fluid will help get out any fine particles out that will act as an abrasive.
                You want do everything you can to save your tranny. E series are becoming harder to find and a rebuild kit is $180.00 without gears. Then you have to get it out and have it rebuilt. If you arent mechanically inclined or dont have experience with theses axle seals. You'll want to get it to a tranny shop to correct the leaks. Otherwise drain this fluid tomorrow & just keep it topped off.

Comment

^X2

Run it for a few miles and then drop the fluid again to help flush out any metallic debris that could have been created by running it low. Look for leaks and keep the fluid checked...especially if you find the axle seals are bad and have to drive it before replacing them. You don't want to get in this same situation again, your transmission and wallet will thank you
                  If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

Sounds to me like your transmission is dying! This same thing was happening to me awhile back and I lost 4th and then 5th gear. Had to get a new 5 speed. Here is what my clutch sounded like.

-Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                    Random Festiva Parts
                    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Working...
                    X