Dashlights don't come on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashlights don't come on

The illumination lights for the cluster and blower controls don't work at all.

Now I have already checked all the fuses, and they are all just fine. Search on here revealed the dimmer switch as a common culprit.
    But people describe a burnt smell from them if they are bad, but there is no burnt smell, just old dust smell. I can't figure out for the life of me how to properly test this switch with a multimeter.

Also, I hooked the multimeter up to the wires that run to the back of the cluster for the Illumination circuit, it reads 12volts, but only if I ground it on the black wire on the same loom. I am completely stumped.

I had a aftermarket voltage gauge, and I had the positive wire for light on that running to the cluster lights. (So it would turn the light on with the headlights.) and the dangling wires when I had the cluster apart to change the mileage, they arced. So obviously something blew. Headlights still work perfectly fine though.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Is there anything I can do to get my dash lights working until I can get a new dimmer switch?

i don't understand how the dimmer works in the circuit that is laid out in the Haynes manual.

Why are both hot, and ground wires going into the switch, when it is the last thing in that particular circuit?
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 06-17-2013, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Give the dash board a good smack in the middle, and they should come on from my experience..lol true story
      Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
      Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
      Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
      WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

The ground wire is on the opposite side of the rheostat in the dimmer switch. In order to flow to ground. the electricity has to pass through the resistance windings of the coil. Depemding on how much of the winding it has to pass through, the less the brighter, the more the dimmer. The TAIL fuse provides the power R/GN to all of the lights and dimmer switch, power will only flow through the lights R/W if the contacts are closed in the dimmer switch (that click, when you first begin to turn the dimmer wheel).

Read 71-1 Instrument Illumination in the 1992 Ford Festiva Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting manual.

Put in another dimmer switch. If it still doesn't work, check the ground.
        Headlights are on a separate circuit.
        The radio is also on the TAIL fuse, however it has a separate ground.
        Good luck.

I would like to know if radio lights dim in 1992 Festivas. I believe they do in 89. Can some members please check?

If something fried inside your meter when it arced then you really need good luck. You have to take it apart to see what burnt.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 06-18-2013, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Changing the mileage? Did you put in a new to you cluster?
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I tried wiring up a mx3 dimmer, doesn't quite fit the dash but I decided to try out until I can get a proper replacement, but it still didn't work, but I wasn't even sure that would work anyway. luckily a local junkyard just got in a 92gl, but can't make a trip down there until I get my paycheck next week.
            Last edited by TorqueEffect; 06-18-2013, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X