Transmission axle seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission axle seals

So, my manual transmission is definitely leaking. I went under the car (I dont have the stands to jack it up, so just I couldnt get a great look) and couldnt see any obvious signs of a specific leak. There was a drip on the bottom of one bolt, but it didnt seem like it would have leaked a lot from it.

However, there was grease with dirt in it EVERYWHERE! Especially on the crossmember that runs right under the drivers side axle seal. Like it had been flung off of the axle. however, there were no drips, or any obviously fresh oil.

Heres my question. If my axle seals were leaking, would it be obvious after the car had sat overnight, or would they mostly leak while the car is moving, flinging the oil everywhere?
    '97 Aspire

The grease could be from a torn CV joint, that's the rubber encased part of the drive axles, they need to have grease in them to prevent from dying. The rubber is a pretty common failure after 20+ years
    Owner of:
    1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
    In progress:
    BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

^that's true.

it could also be, (if it's not a thicker grease looking drip, and looks more like oil) the driveshaft output seal.
      i recently changed my axles and after a week of driving i noticed it was basically pouring out on the drivers side. the seal was replaced and she's right as rain.

and like kellen said, if the boots are bad, you may as well get new cv's. and dust or debris on the inside of that boot will work into whatever grease you replace inside your old ones, and will do no good for them.

i think the axles for a festy can be had for less than $80 a piece. and the transmission seals are $7 timkens.
      Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

and to answer your question, you would notice it being flung from driving, but if the seals are bad, they'd pool up in the transmission undermount and you'd see some on your parkway.
        Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

parkway = where you park your car (that's what ive always been told) lol

Comment

I didnt pay particular attention, but the boots looked ok. I would have noticed if they were split. Though, it could be old grease.

However, my problem is still that Im leaking trans fluid, and cant tell where.

And, I do find a lot on the ground in the morning. Other than axle seals, where are normal leaks from in the trans?
            '97 Aspire

Comment

Mainly it's just the axle seals, but it could be coming from the drain plug too; esp. if you are using ATF as your tranny fluid, since it's so thin.

If you decide to drain the ATF to put in something thicker, also coat the drain plug's threads with grease. It won't leak there again.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

What would a good alternative fluid be?
                '97 Aspire

Comment

I just re-did an axle seal last week. This is not a monumental undertaking and new seals are fairly cheap (they must be generic for many different cars). Hardest part is getting the axle nut loose. I know it's metric but a 1 1/8" socket fit perfect on mine. Big screwdriver or pry bar gets the old seal out and a large socket inside the reversed old seal is a polite way for gently tapping in the new one.

There was a very informative post on the site about tranny fluids very recently. Tranny holds a total of 2.5 litres and usually only 1.5-2 is necessary to add if it's peed out through leakage and removal of a driveaxle. Original calls for Mercon ATF and since I'm not in there all that often I splurged on Royal Purple MaxATF (synthetic) when I did mine last week.
                  Last edited by Bert; 06-23-2013, 07:35 PM. Reason: more words

Comment

Originally posted by Americanclassicg View Post
                    Definitely ATV fluid. The shifting is much much smoother than regular gear oil. That is unless you go grab some royal purple gear oil. That stuff is the berries.

If It's not the plug It's your seals. Just pull the CV out pop the seal out and push new ones in on both sides and uou should be good.

-James

Comment

Originally posted by Americanclassicg View Post
                      Based on what Advancedynamix is running, I am using 20W50 motorcycle synthetic. Works fine. Honestly I think you could run these trannies on canola oil. Just about everything else has been put in there.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                        Based on what Advancedynamix is running, I am using 20W50 motorcycle synthetic. Works fine. Honestly I think you could run these trannies on canola oil. Just about everything else has been put in there.
                        Well said! Feels good not to have to wrestle with manufacturer warranties at this stage of the game. I dunno about Canadian Oil Low Acid (Canola alias rapeseed), might be better for French fries.

Comment

I had grease spray out from the drive axel boot at the wheel had grease all over the inside of the wheel and wheel well. The boot looked good but it was spraying out when driving. A few weeks later the axel broke. It suddenly leaked and broke because of a rear broken engine mount. So I was told by the transmission guy.
                          1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                          1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                          1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                          2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                          2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                          2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                          1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

I know this silly, But can someone explain how or link me to a thread on draining and properly refilling through transmission? Pweeeeeeze?
                            Youll be the proud owner of a high fiver if you do.

-James

Comment

pull drain plug....drain old fluid.....put drain plug back in.....take the speedo gear out and pour 2.6 quarts of chosen fluid back in...put speedo cable back in....drive festy....be happy at the gas pump!

Comment

Working...
                              X