Transmission axle seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by koRnhead View Post
    pull drain plug....drain old fluid.....put drain plug back in.....take the speedo gear out and pour 2.6 quarts of chosen fluid back in...put speedo cable back in....drive festy....be happy at the gas pump!
    Thanks!

now I need (a photo preferably) of where said plug is located. On the bottom?

-James
    Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

A word of warning... if this is the first time you will be replacing your speedometer gear.
      Clean thoroughly around the gear and disconnect the speedometer cable from the gear before you remove it.
      When you replace the gear after you refill the transmission,
      Make sure you do not over tighten the bolt that holds the gear in place!!
      Many of these gears have been broken this way.
      The little flange on the gear that bolts to the transmission is easily broken.
      The gear will appear to not be seated fully and you will be tempted to tighten more to push it further in. Do not do this or you will break it.

Last edited by 1990new; 06-24-2013, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfester View Post
        Thanks!

now I need (a photo preferably) of where said plug is located. On the bottom?

-James
        There is a hole in the transmission support beam which allow access to the plug. You can't miss it.

Don't mean to hijack you thread, but this is in the same realm.
        Does anyone know what, if any, differences there are to removing and replacing the transaxle on an automatic vs manual?
        Last edited by 1990new; 06-24-2013, 07:49 PM.

Comment

frankenfester, pick up a Haynes manual at a McParts store. It'll save you time and lots of basic questions. And it has pictures. No Festy/Aspire owner should be without one.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            frankenfester, pick up a Haynes manual at a McParts store. It'll save you time and lots of basic questions. And it has pictures. No Festy/Aspire owner should be without one.
            I've got the ford service manual. I Just like through convenience of the forum. I wasn't trying to waste anyone's time, But this thread was specific to my question.

-James
            Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

Buy a funnel that fits into a piece of 1 1/2 foot long hose. Insert hose into tranny hole from up above and then add fluid. I tend to overfill and then use a fluid pump (sort of like a grease gun) to withdraw a cupful or two. Difficult to fill the tranny to precise level otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                Buy a funnel that fits into a piece of 1 1/2 foot long hose. Insert hose into tranny hole from up above and then add fluid. I tend to overfill and then use a fluid pump (sort of like a grease gun) to withdraw a cupful or two. Difficult to fill the tranny to precise level otherwise.
                Wouldn't using the specified amount in the owners manual and Ford service manual and Haynes manual be sufficient? If I go buy 3 quarts and do 2 full then Just a Tad over half I think That's 2.6quarts
                -James

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfester View Post
                  Wouldn't using the specified amount in the owners manual and Ford service manual and Haynes manual be sufficient? If I go buy 3 quarts and do 2 full then Just a Tad over half I think That's 2.6quarts
                  -James
                  I had a driveaxle pop loose last week. You'd think this would allow all of the tranny fluid to leak out. However during refill the tranny was full to the top by the time I'd added 1 1/2 litres. Obviously there is some residual in there unless you undo the drain plug.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    I had a driveaxle pop loose last week. You'd think this would allow all of the tranny fluid to leak out. However during refill the tranny was full to the top by the time I'd added 1 1/2 litres. Obviously there is some residual in there unless you undo the drain plug.
                    My plan is to do the plug. I Just wanted to make sure of the "proper" amount.

-James

Comment

Working...
                    X