Rebuilding engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding engine

Can someone give me some insight into rebuilding a festiva? How hard is it? Whats a price range? I have found one for $400 but it needs to be rebuilt, not sure if this is something I can do or not.

It all depends on how in depth of a rebuild you will be doing
    91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
    Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
    Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Comment

$400 for a festiva? Not bad. There are many engines to swap I to the festiva cheaper than rebuilding a B3 engine and much more fun. Buy it, and plan on swapping a motor.
      If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every job looks like a nail.

Comment

The guy said it was smoking and using oil. So I figured probably full rebuild. I wouldn't mind swapping a engine but there's nothing close by, I have been looking and can't find anything remotely close by.

Comment

I have ask around with local mechanics about rebuilding my 92 festiva. I keep hearing that once rebuilt they will blow oil real bad. I don't know if there referring to gaskets leaking or actual blow by in the engine. If anybody has any info please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by joeyfurlong View Post
            I have ask around with local mechanics about rebuilding my 92 festiva. I keep hearing that once rebuilt they will blow oil real bad. I don't know if there referring to gaskets leaking or actual blow by in the engine. If anybody has any info please let me know.
            You need to find some better mechanics.
            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

It has the 4 speed stick if that matters.

Comment

logan, where abouts are you located? a local member may be able to help
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Western ky

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
                    You need to find some better mechanics.
                    X2

I've fully rebuilt 4 B3's and all have been running for at least 2 years in daily driven cars with zero leaks or oil consumption.

The B3 is an easy engine to rebuild if you have some mechanical aptitude. If this is your first engine build I'd say the B3 is one of the best to start with and learn on.
                    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                    Zulu Ministries

Comment

The cost depends on the condition of the core. If you can get by with just rings, bearings & gaskets, then maybe $300 to rebuild if you do it all yourself. If it needs the crank ground or block bored, new pistons, oil pump, head and valve work, etc., it could get close to the $600 to $800 mark. It's kinda like asking what it costs to remodel a house....depends on the work needed and how good of job you want to do!
                      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Rocketman is selling a SOHC B6 in PA for $250. I don't know what model you have, but you can travel a pretty good distance for a good engine, more horsepower and not having the rebuild cost.

Check it out.
                        Jack Byrd,
                        1991 Capri
                        1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                        1970 Chev C10
                        1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

B3
                          Dipped and Bored ,
                          Matched new aluminum hung on rods
                          Gasket,
                          bearings,
                          Rings
                          No crank work
                          New water pump (not reman)
                          Timing belt
                          4 exhaust valves.
                          8 valve guides

$628 out the door.

Did my own head and block work, grind seats and valves, lap, head mill, block assembly etc

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
                          Last edited by jason_; 07-20-2013, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Well, I've bought it. Go to get it Tuesday. Probably going to do a compression test on it when I get it home.

Comment

When I rebuilt my B6....

•new pistons, rings, bearings, gasket set, brass freeze plugs, timing belt, 8 valve guides & oil pump - approx $350 from Rock Auto
                              •crank polished, block honed, head milled, pistons hung & valves ground - $150 at local machine shop
                              •misc cleaning supplies and unplanned crap from parts store - about $100

its the unplanned crap and stuff you never think of that adds up. Grease, oil, paint, antifreeze, little stuff that you find that needs fixed, etc. that really adds up. Also, to do it right you should consider a new clutch kit, new axle seals, hoses, belts and stuff like that. Most of that stuff can be skipped and replaced later on as needed, but the clutch kit should be seriously considered since the engine will be out.
                              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                              X