No announcement yet.

88 Festiva L' Stalling under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jason, the issue isn't water not buring but how it got from the air mist into the exhaust without causing the engine to stall. If it by-passed the intake manifold it may have got into a hose which goes directly to the exhaust?
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
      Jason, the issue isn't water not buring but how it got from the air mist into the exhaust without causing the engine to stall. If it by-passed the intake manifold it may have got into a hose which goes directly to the exhaust?
      90% efficiency furnaces need a condensation pump for moisture from the exhaust vent....

Same principle. Small amount of moisture can easily go through combustion and end up in exhaust with zero problem. Engines run on humid days, right?

Old school non heated intakes would have the carb frost up on humid days when it's 90*F put, I'm dealing with it daily this summer on my '57 ford workmaster, no fuel pump, non heated intake, updraft, gravity fed carb , but that's another topic.

I wouldn't be concerned about water dribbling out the pipe, unless your chasing the radiator with a pint a week.

Edit, guess I did have a pic on my phone.

Miserable hot day, beer was sweating more then me, carb kept flubbin' up from the ice. Builds up and chokes itself. Occasionally had to pause for a cause and, um, drink more while heat would transfer down iron and defrost, then fire back up and be good for another hour.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
      Last edited by jason_; 07-27-2013, 08:00 AM.

Comment

HEY!!!! I'M happy to say it is fixed!!!! It was the fuel line issue. I ended up buying 3ft of 5/16 line. I replaced the line from the fuel pump to the filter with about 2- 21/2 feet ft of new line and I replaced the small piece that went from metal fuel line to filter from 6in to about 1ft piece. I moved the filter from its location under the brake master cylinder and placed it behind the evap canister below the ignition coil to give the hose a swooping angle as opposed to a sharp bend. Now she is running just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks guys.:thumbs_up:nthego:
        Yellow 91 festiva GL 5speed
        Red 88festiva L 4spd
        Blue 91festiva L 5spd (bad tranny, sloppy suspension)

Comment

Good to hear its back in operation!
          I think that is going to become a BIG issue with the 88-89 carby's. They all have the same short line down by the filter and they are all getting old and soft.
          You are actually the 3rd person that has happened to in the last 2 months!
          Besides the distributor dieing and sending them to junkyards. I think a few are hitting the yards for that fuel line issue.
          There was a carby broke down on the highway on my way to work last week.
          Last edited by drddan; 07-28-2013, 12:01 AM.
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Awesome dude! i like success stories.
            91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
            06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
            95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Me too, Me too, Me too!
              I decided to replace the fuel filtre inlet hose as preventive maintenance.
              I bought two feet of hose at $3.50 per foot Canadian, wrapped it around the clutch cable, and got nice big loops.
              I had to take back the 5/16" and exchange it for 14". The 5/16" was too loose on the steel brake line.
              It's a bit tight on the fuel filtre end but 1/4" was what was on there originally.
              The old hose was bent out of 'round pretty bad. I had just repalced the filter but never noticed.
              Thanks for the heads up.

BTW it is tight working in there. I disconnected the charcoal cylinder, coil, and removed the battery cables (all 10mm) to make room. Jacking up the car and coming at it from below didn't help but I think if the tire and plastic splash sheild were removed access from below would be good.
              Last edited by WmWatt; 07-29-2013, 02:43 PM.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                I decided to replace the fuel filtre inlet hose as preventive maintenance.
                Good man! :thumbs_up:

I shouldnt have let this secret out. There would be more Festys in junkyards for me to pick over!!!!! :razz:
                Last edited by drddan; 07-30-2013, 03:46 AM.
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                X