Well a rebuild is in order....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well a rebuild is in order....

I did a compression test and got 160, 70, 170, 175. I figured a rebuild is needed. Now I need to know what all do I need to make everything go as smooth as possible (first ever rebuild). I looked at a full rebuild kit at autozone with new oil pump, pistons and everything for 457.99, I found one as rockauto cheaper but wasn't sure. Do I need "oversize" as rockauto called it? I want all the insight anybody can give me for this.

Did you take the head off? I had this happen, turned out just being a burnt intake valve.
    -Donny
    -1992 Festiva GL
    B6D/E-series.
    -1991 GL
    BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

I didn't take the head off but when doing the compression test every time the engine "compressed" the pressure when up until it reached pressure I posted. According to the Haynes manual, it has worn rings. Could it still be a burnt valve? Also are those pressures bad or just the one cylinder? Any way to tell this by just pulling the valve cover and not pulling the whole head? as I would have to order a head gasket.
      Last edited by logan; 07-31-2013, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Guess I should have posted, the car is leaking oil around what looks to be the head gasket and smokes.

Comment

Put a tablespoon of oil into the low cylinder and test its compression again. If it increases then it's most likely a ring issue. If it doesn't change then it's most likely a valve issue.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterTec View Post
            Put a tablespoon of oil into the low cylinder and test its compression again. If it increases then it's most likely a ring issue. If it doesn't change then it's most likely a valve issue.
            Ok I will go rent the tester again and do it again and see.

Comment

Would the smoking have anything to do with a valve?

Comment

Would the smoking have anything to do with a valve?

Comment

Have you explored the idea of renting a "leak down" tester or perhaps you know of someone who has one that you can use and conduct a "leak down" on each cylinder. Most testers come with a "how to" manual along with a "what does it mean section".

I have owned and used one for years to give me a "better picture" of what is going on. I also use a vacuum gauge and a compression tester when I do these engine diagnosis tests.

cortezit
                  Last edited by cortezit; 07-31-2013, 10:11 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Comment

Originally posted by cortezit View Post
                    Have you explored the idea of renting a "leak down" tester or perhaps you know of someone who has one that you can use and conduct a "leak down" on each cylinder. Most testers come with a "how to" manual along with a "what does it mean section".

I have owned and used one for years to give me a "better picture" of what is going on. I also use a vacuum gauge and a compression tester when I do these engine diagnosis tests.

cortezit
                    Where would I buy a leak down tester? Off to search for one!

Comment

Well I searched around an found none. Other than ordering one offline and really don't wanna buy one only to never use it again.

Comment

Originally posted by cortezit View Post

cortezit
                        How can I use a vacuum gauge to test these engines? Sorry new to the festiva cars and motors.

Comment

If you have an air compressor, put a chuck on the hose with a rubber tip; one that can fill the spark plug hole. Turn off the compressor with 20-30 psi in it and give each cylinder a blast when it's at TDC. If it's a leaking valve, it will make a hiss you'll hear from one manifold or the other.

Caution: Keep everything clear of the crank and make sure it's in neutral because the air could turn the engine over.
                          -Zack
                          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

How do I get to TDC? Should I check the higher cylinders or just the low one?

Comment

Do you really need to do all that testing? We have fancy stuff in shops to answer all the questions people ask and to charge for it. You already know you have a bad cylinder. If you pull the head you can pour a little gasoline in each port and look for leakage on the other side of the valve. You can also pour some thin oil on top of the pistons and see which one loses the oil first. But really you should be able to see the problem after the head is off. You have to fix it anyway, get after it lol !
                              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                              X