No announcement yet.

Well a rebuild is in order....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I think I'm still going to rebuild it but do I need to buy "oversize" as rockauto called? Also where's the best place to get a master rebuild kit?

Comment

just a noob quick question here, i've looked at a few compression test kits and noticed what looks like a fitting for a compressor hose.. i'm presuming i'll need a compressor for this type of testing and i was also curious to know if there were manual kits as well that used a manual hand pump to achieve the same results.

thanks.
      Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
      Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
      Highway - 7.32L/100km
      City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Compression testers don't require an air compressor.

You take out all the spark plugs and reinstall the adapter, included in the kit, into one of the holes. Attach the gauge with the quick connect (like you see on an air hose) and crank the engine to get your number for that cylinder
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

One I bought has a coupler end. Like an air chuck, unsnap the pressure gauge, snap the air hose on and shoots air in it. Basically two in one. Handy. One cylinder that's low, pull valve cover and confirm both valves closed, snap on air hose, and check.

I'd gamble you have a valve face pitted, and it's not holding tight.

Less possible is previous owner ran low on oil and scuffed/scorched the living hell of the cylinder walls.

That'll require a bore, and machine shop will keep over sizing until it cleans up, if it cleans up. So you'll need to buy oversized aluminum and rings to match.

If it's beyond bore limit, grab a new block, or sleeve it. Sleeving isn't common on throw away engines, (small car and truck), but when working on bigger, 1000cubic inch and bigger, sleeving is almost desired. $300 piston and sleeve over a $6000 bare block.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
          Last edited by jason_; 08-01-2013, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by logan View Post
            Well I think I'm still going to rebuild it but do I need to buy "oversize" as rockauto called? Also where's the best place to get a master rebuild kit?
            There's no way to tell until you take the engine apart and measure the bores to see if they are over the service limit.

Most people wait until after they have disassembled an engine to order a kit. That way you can measure everything to see if you need to bore the cylinders and have the crank turned. If you overbore you'll need to purchase the oversize pistons and rings. If the crank has to be turned then you'll need to buy oversize crank and/or rod bearings. That's why it's best to measure everything before you purchase a kit.
            If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
            Zulu Ministries

Comment

I hope you continue posting about your experience. My festy has been sitting for a couple days because of a similar problem. Oil is leaking past the headgasket and I get smoke from under the manifold.
              Will driving it clear up the oil if it possibly came from me adding too much? I need more experience diagnosing my poor Festys problems.

Comment

Working...
              X