festiva not starting help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• festiva not starting help!!

Hello everyone i recently been hearing rumbling clicking noise near alternator along with oil shooting through car because of either worn rings or clogged ports somewhere according to backyard mechanic he said engine might be going bad but i don't think so he said to take off valve cover clean out with diesel and replace oil,rinse and repeat to unclog anything. me and my dad took off valve cover cleaned upper pcv ports and head put it back on and started it it ran good turned it off and not its not starting anymore battery seems fine not sure if its the alternator gonna check it tomorrow. its turning over but not starting and charge light is on wanted to get your guys suggestions i really dont want to get rid of car i love my festy and have been trying to slowly fix it up but getting frustrated any help,suggestion ideas will be appreciated.

First, is it efi or carb? Makes a difference what the problem might be. The oil issue sounds like blowby. If you think alt is bad, have it tested. Its free at most auto part stores.
    Washing with diesel sounds like he was trying remove built up sludge from the valve cover. There are "baffles" under the VC that supposed to catch the oil mist and stop it from getting out. Sometimes the baffles get clogged and dont do the job.
    Last edited by drddan; 08-06-2013, 01:31 AM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

its carbed and yea we cleaned the sludge out of baffles not a whole lot tho. i will have alt tested tommorow but if its good what other suggestions would you have dr dan??

Comment

im also think starter or air fuel mixture issue but it started and ran before with no prob

Comment

What did you take loose, any wires? Think if you put everything back. Most batteries I've had go bad died slowly, not instantly, though they can. I had a battery that tested bad still start my car and run fine because the starter is relatively small. It sounds like you could have a loose alternator/belt, bad solenoid, wiring connection (ignition switch,fusible links). Make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight at the battery, solenoid, and ground bolt.
          When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenmean View Post
            its carbed and yea we cleaned the sludge out of baffles not a whole lot tho. i will have alt tested tommorow but if its good what other suggestions would you have dr dan??
            Check to see if you have spark at the spark plug end of your wires. Pull a wire, have someone crank it, hold wire close to spark plug or block while cranking, and see if you see a spark.
            The ICM inside the carb disty is a known culprit for failing. No spark= bad ICM ..... Spark= good ICM
            ICM's can usually be had on ebay for under $50.
            If you have a no spark condition and it is the ICM...it is easily changed.

ICM removal:
            1)Pull disty cap and rotor out
            2)Pull 3 wires from the terminals on the ICM (half moon shaped black plastic thing)
            3)Remove 2 screws holding the ICM to disty
            4)ICM comes out by sliding it sideways out of the disty. DO NOT PULL UP ON IT!
            ... If you are say, on a bench with it, and holding the disty with the top rotor side up, you will need to slide it out sideways, and up over the round body of the disty.

The 2 little tabs as seen here is why it needs to slide sideways.

If you have festy's in a junkyard near you, you can do what I do...pull the ICM out of the disty! Takes like 2 minutes!
            Last edited by drddan; 08-06-2013, 11:59 AM.
            Dan

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Look for a connector you might have pulled accidently with your arm or something while you were concentrating on something else.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

ok so i check the all the wires tried to jump it booster pack and still nothin not sure what else to do here

Comment

Any members in NJ who can go over and look at this?
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post

If you have festy's in a junkyard near you, you can do what I do...pull the ICM out of the disty! Takes like 2 minutes!
                    TominMO, I now know who hit the speedway yard in IL!
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                      I was thinking that too.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                        Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                        I was thinking that too.
                        Ha Ha! Nope! It wasnt me! I'll never admit to it!!!!!! :laughing1:

P&P.....Riverside.....maybe.
                        Last edited by drddan; 08-07-2013, 04:20 AM.
                        Dan

R.I.P.
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Working...
                        X