Rusted out pinch welds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusted out pinch welds

While digging at the rust, after pulling off allot of the pinch weld that had rotted off the passenger side by the rear wheel arch, and noticed that the slanted metal panel with the holes in it that runs down the length of the inside of the rocker panel is rotted through as well.

How structural is this to the car?
    Is it very important? If not I will clean it up the best I can, and then patch up the body around it

Also here is some pics, though one of the pictures is the rear passenger floor pan from the bottom.

1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

that sir, IS structural. you need to fix it right the first time, no patching and saying life is good here. it's what's holding your rear axle to the car.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

That bad. Id start with a diff body to me nuts and bolts are easier than fixing that mess

Comment

Couple more pics.

So the car is screwed? Just lovely......

Alright, guess I will have to save keep an eye out for a rust free body.

Comment

You know what? Screw it!

I am going to save this car, because I have more emotional value in it than most people have in their Festys, since this is my first ever car, and as idiotic as it sounds I want to keep it, not strip it down and throw it away for scrap.

Muleskinner walked away from worse rot that was actually ON the axle mount, this is NEAR it.
          Last edited by TorqueEffect; 09-25-2013, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Haha.. that's how I feel with my '90. It is the biggest lemon Festiva that ever was. I've had SO MANY PROBLEMS in the 35k I've put on it.. the floorboard is 30% gone (in just 2 years, ain't kidding), the body is tweaked and cannot get it aligned, it eats suspension parts (no matter who puts them on), has gone through 2 mufflers (I dunno how even.. was a nice, brand-new muffler when I got it..).

Uhh.. rad support snapped and dropped engine a few inches. Front strut SNAPPED IN HALF (luckily while I was driving 2MPH). Eats bearings every 10k miles (bad spindles, lazy, haven't replaced). Auto transmission is starting to fail (sometimes doesn't want to go into any gear).. fairly sure it has a blown head gasket (oil in rad, can't tell if coolant in oil because it BURNS OIL LIKE CRAZY, 1k miles = black oil). Can't drive on gravel (giant amount of gray smoke if driven in second gear for any length of time).

...yet I can't get myself to strip it and scrap it.

Am I crazy?
            White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
            White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
            1988 LX 5-speed
            ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

So what I'm saying is.. fix it! You have a lot of work in it, it'd be sad to let it go now.

Also, anyone want to buy my beloved first car/first Festiva for $2000? LOL
              White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
              White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
              1988 LX 5-speed
              ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

I don't know how many times I've advised folks to oil-spray their cars. When you buy something that is 20 years old and has travelled in the rust belt guaranteed the metal in strategic places has gotten soft already long before you bought it. Oil the bejesus out of every nook and cranny and seam (and fuel/brake lines etc) the moment you get one of these cars! And do it every year, or for that matter every time you're underneath that car.

Comment

well I cant stand being covered in oil everytime u crawl under the car but I don't have as bad of rust issues as up there

Comment

anything is repairable if u want to

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                      You know what? Screw it!

I am going to save this car, because I have more emotional value in it than most people have in their Festys, since this is my first ever car, and as idiotic as it sounds I want to keep it, not strip it down and throw it away for scrap.
                      t.
                      Most, but I bet I match ya! Good for you! Keep the old girl running! Do what I plan on doing, build her up tougher!
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                      X