Noisy squeaking and clunking steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy squeaking and clunking steering

Hi; Have a 1991 Kia Pride..Just put new shocks all around and had the rack and pinion rebuilt. There is a squeaking noise when turning left and right and a low speed clunking when going straight. My mechanic has checked everything he can think of out and is left scratching his head.

Specs:
    Engine rebuilt last year..New clutch and throw-out bearing..New shocks all around..new rubber on strut "right side"..new CV joints both sides..rebuilt steering (rack showed some wear, replaced plastic bushing)..new bushing sway bar...new bushings shifting linkage..new alt....battery...

Checked every bolt we could find, all seemed good and tight...(noticed when turning steering wheel while parked that the rack applies enough pressure on the firewall that there is a small amount of movement (of the firewall). Firewall seems a little thin to support the torque well....Anyone have any idea what this could be?...thanks
    "1991 Kia Pride" Best Little Runner I Ever Owned!

Where are you from bro? I' assuming your from your nick that your from the Phils.

It seems you own a very well maintained car, I'm no expert but have your tried replacing the velocity bearings?
    The power to surprise....

Comment

Yep..Cavite.. ..Wife named the car Pogi..lol I changed the inner and outer wheel bearings about two weeks ago..Still have to do the rear though, if that is what you mean by "velocity bearings".
      "1991 Kia Pride" Best Little Runner I Ever Owned!

Comment

Did you replace the entire half shaft or just the cv joint. Don't overlook things just because they have been replaced, you may have gotten a bad part. The clunking sounds like a half shaft problem. Squeaking noise sounds like wheel bearings. Guess brakes are ok ? Might check spindle nuts and make sure they haven't backed off.
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
        X