Need help with thermostat removal....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with thermostat removal....

I have a 93 festiva. The problem I'm having is getting at the bottom bolt on the housing. There is a tube thingy in the way and I just cannot get anything on the bolt. Any help will be appreciated, thanks. I tried to remove a bolt that is on a hold down at one part of the tube thingy, the thing was so rusty that the bolt broke right off and the hold down thing being loose did not help one bit.
    Last edited by jimdigs; 11-17-2013, 07:00 PM.

Originally posted by jimdigs View Post
    I have a 93 festiva. The problem I'm having is getting at the bottom bolt on the housing. There is a tube thingy in the way and I just cannot get anything on the bolt. Any help will be appreciated, thanks. I tried to remove a bolt that is on a hold down at one part of the tube thingy, the thing was so rusty that the bolt broke right off and the hold down thing being loose did not help one bit.
    12mm "Gear Wrench" from any local hardware store. You can get them in "Off Set" or straight.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Thanks, I have wobble extensions and knuckles but I just couldn't get the socket on the darn thing. I have a regular 12mm open end wrench but I believe I do need the off set "gear wrench" that you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by jimdigs View Post
        Thanks, I have wobble extensions and knuckles but I just couldn't get the socket on the darn thing. I have a regular 12mm open end wrench but I believe I do need the off set "gear wrench" that you mention.
        FYI put a tiny "Dab" of silicone or grease,Vaseline etc anything to keep the new thermostat in place while installing. It hasn't happened to me but many people report cracking the housing because the thermostat shifted and they didn't realize it. Then they torqued the two bolts and CRACK. :thumbs_down:
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I just kind of muscled it out of the way. It moves enough to be able to get that in there. I have a 1992 that I just went through the t-stat

Comment

Originally posted by iriegnome View Post
            I just kind of muscled it out of the way. It moves enough to be able to get that in there. I have a 1992 that I just went through the t-stat
            I guess I'm just a weenie. Do you remember if you went over or under the tube thingy?

Comment

If you follow the metal coolant bypass tube toward the firewall, you'll find a small clamp on a bracket held down by a 10mm nut. If you loosen or remove it, that should give you a bit more clearance to the bottom bolt.
              -Zack
              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

If you follow it towards the front, it's attached to the far right exhaust manifold bolt.

Undoing it there will allow some more movement.

There's a small bracket that is welded to the water pipe. Kinda goes up under the heat shield
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I use long extentions. I too was a thermocracker noob. So ive taken off and installed these numerous times and gained nothing but a running car.
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                    I use long extentions. I too was a thermocracker noob. So ive taken off and installed these numerous times and gained nothing but a running car.
                    So install the 2 stage stat didn't improve your heat in the festiva? Is that what your saying?

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                      If you follow the metal coolant bypass tube toward the firewall, you'll find a small clamp on a bracket held down by a 10mm nut. If you loosen or remove it, that should give you a bit more clearance to the bottom bolt.
                      That is the nut I tried loosening and the thing broke in half.

Comment

Darn rusty nuts... Shouldn't hurt if you can just zip tie the bypass tube to the bracket.
                        -Zack
                        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

No, I bought this car off craigslist almost sight unseen. I always replace a thermostat on cars I buy with unknown history, when doing this I broke the thermostat housing. So I had to remove and replace it multiple times, gaining no experience or bragging rights. It took me two days to get right back where I was, in other words. If your airflow is good a single stage therm works ok.
                          Last edited by Pu241; 11-17-2013, 11:58 PM.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

no I bought this car off craigslist almost sight unseen and I always replace a thermostat on cars I buy with unknown history when doing this I broke the thermostat housing so I had to remove and replace it multiple times, gaining no experience or bragging rights. It took me two days to get right back where i wss in other words. If your airflow is good a single stage gherm works ok
                            1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                            X