No announcement yet.

Front main seal leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the other option is to use a sheet metal screw (x2) and drive them into the seal on either side of the crank snout, then grab the heads with pliers and pull/wiggle the old seal out.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Crank seal was fairly easy, cam is scary. I used paint can openers. Worked ok.

There was oil everywhere, EVERYWHERE, lower timing cover was missing, got car that way, didnt know until today, i left top cover off until i get to jy for a new set. Top cover is melted and cracked. Doesnt seem to be leaking now. I srove about 10 miles and belts did not have oil on them. The seals did not visually look bad. Just oil in that area. No missing rubber or crack or gap.
      Yellow 91 festiva GL 5speed
      Red 88festiva L 4spd
      Blue 91festiva L 5spd (bad tranny, sloppy suspension)

Comment

Festy, that idea is how i will do them from now on!!!!
        Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

And if you want, dont really need the top cover. It looks cool to watch the cam gear spin when its running!
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

It does look cool. I painted my valve cover red while i did all of this work, looks sweet in my yellow GL. With all 3 belts new it sort of sounds like a turbo winding up. Now, best news is i dont see any oil leaking after about 50 miles. I wish i had the loer cover so i could time it. My motor is running much better after all the work I put in. Evrrything was cleaned and all tune up parts rrplaced at the same time.
            Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

if the cam timing is spot on, set the dizzy just right of dead center (as you look from the driver side) and that should get you in the ball park.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I figured i would mark where it sits now and toy with it. Thank for that input.
                Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Working...
                X