No announcement yet.

Getting a hub assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hecka....I've checked and Autozone has the Timken bearings...at least here in Florida. Happy travels.
    92 GL, 98k
    77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

Festiva rear bearing removal.jpgFestiva rear axle nut staking.jpg

Comment

Hecka'

Sorry 'bout the attachments problem.....

And Autozone is where I've gotten the Timken bearings also.

Comment

Many of the aftermarket Festy and Aspire brake drums do not have grooves/slots cut through the inside center ridge. This makes removal of bearing outer races difficult. With a dremel tool or small angle grinder you can cut a couple of wide slots 180 degrees apart so as to be able to contact the bearing races with a cold chisel/drift in order to hammer them out. Merely dropping new bearings into existing outer races is a recipe for premature wear and short longevity. You can be crude or ruthless in removing the old stuff but do not mishandle or burr the new bearings. Brass drifts and brass hammers are good striking implements for not damaging steel as are using large sockets or the old races as drifts. You can hear and feel it when bearing races 'bottom out'. Rear bearings are an excellent learning experience towards getting the gumption and confidence up for attempting more complicated repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
            Many of the aftermarket Festy and Aspire brake drums do not have grooves/slots cut through the inside center ridge. This makes removal of bearing outer races difficult. With a dremel tool or small angle grinder you can cut a couple of wide slots 180 degrees apart so as to be able to contact the bearing races with a cold chisel/drift in order to hammer them out. Merely dropping new bearings into existing outer races is a recipe for premature wear and short longevity. You can be crude or ruthless in removing the old stuff but do not mishandle or burr the new bearings. Brass drifts and brass hammers are good striking implements for not damaging steel as are using large sockets or the old races as drifts. You can hear and feel it when bearing races 'bottom out'. Rear bearings are an excellent learning experience towards getting the gumption and confidence up for attempting more complicated repairs.
            I think the biggest issue I overlooked was reusing the old races after unsuccessfully trying to bang them out with my flat head. I saw a couple nicks in the races when I looked closely, but I didn't want to mess with it further as I was running out of time. Well, I paid for it. So I get to pay for it again tomorrow morning at the shop.
            -Coop

Comment

Yep... by using a screw driver you probably cut a slot ridge in the race which cut into the bearing. I confess many years ago I replaced
              bearings in my Festiva and did not replace the race and the bearing lasted a long time. But it's best to use the race that comes with the new bearing.

Everyone on the forum has learned from experience as you are doing. The things you learn this way are remembered for a lifetime.
              Too bad you don't have more time because you now know how to do it the right way. Don't be afraid to confess your mistakes or try new things..we have all made mistakes and learned from them..we were all inexperienced at one time.
              Last edited by 1990new; 01-01-2014, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. I definitely am not afraid to admit my mistakes or misunderstandings as I know little about car mechanics, so I welcome the experience.
                -Coop

Comment

Working...
                X