Electrical Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Problem

Ok so this is the last time I post anything about this problem.

I have a 1993 Festiva, Manual, with a stock B3.
    It has ran flawless for the last year. I love my car.

The other day it quit running, blew the coil wire off of the distributor. I replaced the cap and then wire and nothing. No spark. None off of the plugs, or coil.
    I replaced the coil and didn't get any, but when I replaced the distributor and then starter because it was drawing to much, and thus spark was returned.

It was up and running, and well. Well then my know it all uncle decides that the distributor is not in there perfect and needs to tweak it a little to the right and claims to have watched the main fusible link cartridge get orange and blow. It was a 30A because I could not find a 40A at the time. So I replaced that and no spark once again.

This time I did not have a check engine or break lever light on the dash. And it won't start. Does anybody have any idea how to get a high school seniors ride to school back up and running? I would owe you big time.

Check in the fuse panel beside the steering column behind the door. There should be a 10 amp fuse labeled meter. It's the one for the instrument panel lights. I'd start there. Also you have an engine fuse thats 10 amp in the same fuse panel. Check it also. Under the hood, check the EGI fuse (15Amp) in the fuse link block. It powers the fuel injectors and engine controls.
    Last edited by Team Lightning; 12-30-2013, 05:01 AM.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

It sounds like you have short-and it may be one of the wires going to the Dizzy. Look for melted plastic in the quick disconnect plugs at the Dizzy,or look for damaged,pinched wires.
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Those fuses are intact as well as the link which I ended up paying a mechanic who thought that was the problem to rewire it to a fuse panel. So all of those are good. Any other ideas?

Comment

Do you have power to those fuses? Does it try to turn over with the starter?
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Yes the starter spins it but it is not catching spark and running. I can hear the fuel pump. I have the twelve volt main to the fuse panel with the EGI but I am not sure about the other two. What is the easiest way to check/what setting should I have my multimeter on?

Comment

Originally posted by jbrown View Post
              Yes the starter spins it but it is not catching spark and running. I can hear the fuel pump. I have the twelve volt main to the fuse panel with the EGI but I am not sure about the other two. What is the easiest way to check/what setting should I have my multimeter on?
              Is the 10 A "Engine Meter" fuse blown again in the fuse panel blown again? If its cranking that means your fuse-able links are OK,but no spark could mean that fuse is blown. If it is blown, check the Bk/W wire going to the + coil terminal for a short.
              And "Google" how to use a multimeter,then test what you just researched on your car battery. Its simple but you need to teach yourself how to use the meter.

Comment

The meter fuse was not blown and they are all getting power. But the pre start check engine light and emergency brake light are both not illuminated.

Comment

The ECA is responsible for supplying power to the check engine light.
                  The METER fuse supplies power to the instrument cluster brake light.
                  It grounds when the brake fluid is low or the parking brake is applied.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 12-30-2013, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Ok so my ECA isn't getting power? I don't know what the brake lights problem is, but I just need my car to start.

Comment

ECA gets power from the ROOM fuse to pin A (W/R wire). Always hot.

The ROOM fuse gets power through the MAIN fuse link. Always hot.
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 12-30-2013, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Ok so there isn't a short in any wire back from the distributor at all. And I will check those and make sure I am getting some.
                        Last edited by jbrown; 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to include future step.

Comment

jbrown, what you need is a cheap 12V test probe. Then you can tell, what's hot and what's not.
                          Is your ROOM fuse OK?
                          Last edited by bravekozak; 12-30-2013, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Yes just went out with my test light MAIN link is hot and ROOM is also hot.

Comment

Originally posted by jbrown View Post
                              Yes just went out with my test light MAIN link is hot and ROOM is also hot.
                              Sounds like the ECM may be toast then,like Brave said it supplies check engine light with key in Run
                              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...iring-diagrams post# 3
                              Last edited by nitrofarm; 12-30-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X