No announcement yet.

When does your radiator fan switch on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And do you think the sealant around the fan switch could be the issue? Do you think the temp displaying on my gauge can cause issues down the road as well?

Comment

Originally posted by m3t4lm4n222 View Post
      And do you think the sealant around the fan switch could be the issue? Do you think the temp displaying on my gauge can cause issues down the road as well?
      Well the others insist that the thermostat housing is aluminum so it does complete the ground circuit. So I would pull out the switch and clean off the sealant and put it back in and see what you get. Those temps are pushing it a bit, but if those are idle only, just don't idle allot and you should be fine.
      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

I'm just going to take it into the shop tomorrow. Since I paid for the service and it doesn't appear to have worked, I shouldn't have to pay anything. In addition, i'm going to get a block test just to ensure nothing negative has occurred due to the higher operating temperatures.

Comment

...I barely bring my car out of idle and often the fan kicks back off in light traffic unless its mid summertime. I need to add a real gauge myself.

Has anyone relocated the switches and seen much of a difference?
          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
            Video link

It is still processing, but I have to get to work.

Sorry for crap cinematography, but it was cold, and lots of stuff was in the way.
            sir can I ask for the color of the wire you unplug on this video? the one that turn the fan off... thanks
            Last edited by Bagetz; 01-28-2014, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Bag, the color of the wire is different for different year cars. It is green/red for 1989 and green/yellow for 1992. Please tell us the year of your car and update your location in your profile.

Comment

I took it into the shop. Turns out the fan does turn on, as soon as it gets to the last white notch on the coolant temp gauge.

I was informed this is normal.

Any correspondence on this?

Comment

Nope not normal. Fan is supposed to kick on just a hair over the middle of the gauge. Either the fan switch isn't triggering at the right temp, or temp gauge or sensors are off.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk

Comment

Where in Washington do you live? If nearby I would be more than happy to lend a hand.

The fan in my 91 kicks on when the temp gauge is right about center. The fan also runs whenever the a/c is on.

Comment

I actually live just in West Richland. My gauge my very well be off in general. When I start my car, the gauge shows the level that it was at when I start the car, slowly drops and then appears to show a more accurate temp.

When my temp is up at the higher level, it usually only happens when I am sitting and idling, then when I start driving it goes back around mid point.

Comment

Look below
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by m3t4lm4n222; 01-28-2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Here's a picture of my temp gauge when I first turn my car on after not driving for about 3 hours. It sits at mid point for awhile and slowly lowers to the bottom portion, then goes back up from there.

IMG_20140128_165400_568.jpg

Here's a picture of my fan switch. When it's plugged in, my fan doesn't turn on until it gets to the very last white notch on my temp gauge. When it's unplugged, it runs whenever the cars on. You can also see the adhesive that was obviously used when the sensor was put in. I'm considering removing it and removing and adhesive and seeing if that changes anything.

But yeah, I was told my fan shouldn't switch on until it hits that last white notch. Which doesn't seem right to me, but they showed me in the shop that it does turn on at that point.

IMG_20140128_165314_716.jpg

Comment

I repeat. The seal for the fan switch is made by the O-ring. It is straight thread. No sealant or teflon tape should be used. I hope that isn't part of your O-ring seal sticking out at the top.

m3, you did not post a pic of the coolant temp switch that is hooked to your gauge. It is a little further to the left in the cylinder head. It has a bullet connector and not a spade connector.
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 01-28-2014, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Do you have a picture of it on the engine. I can't seem to find it. Thanks Brave. I'll pull that sensor out in a couple minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by m3t4lm4n222 View Post
                                Here's a picture of my temp gauge when I first turn my car on after not driving for about 3 hours. It sits at mid point for awhile and slowly lowers to the bottom portion, then goes back up from there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14923[/ATTACH]

Here's a picture of my fan switch. When it's plugged in, my fan doesn't turn on until it gets to the very last white notch on my temp gauge. When it's unplugged, it runs whenever the cars on. You can also see the adhesive that was obviously used when the sensor was put in. I'm considering removing it and removing and adhesive and seeing if that changes anything.

But yeah, I was told my fan shouldn't switch on until it hits that last white notch. Which doesn't seem right to me, but they showed me in the shop that it does turn on at that point.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14924[/ATTACH]
                                Yeah, it isn't supposed to be that far up the scale when you first start it.

with this cold ass winter we are having, I would be lucky to get that far up the gauge after a half hour of driving.

Comment

Working...
                                X