Blower motor/ resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower motor/ resistor

Hey guys, finally decided to finish replacing my blower motor. But after what I've been reading sounds like it's most likely the resistor. Before it died the whole time I had it it only worked on the second speed. I pulled the original motor about 18 mo ago. And pulled another one shortly after that. With my job and laziness I never got around to putting it in. Btw I have an 88L. Tomorrow I'm going to try putting the new motor in and hope that's the issue, after I find the two screws I misplaced. Any suggestions on how to get this done effectively or secrets to putting it in? I remember it being a pain to pull out. Secondly if the problem is the resistor anyone have a good one laying around they're willing to sell?

If the blower motor spins at only one speed, then it's the resistor. The resistor can be replaced without removing the blower. Too bad you missed the Four Green group buy. You could have ordered a brand new resistor for $11.05 + shipping. I have my old one kicking around somewhere in the box. See if you can source one locally. I have to search.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 03-13-2014, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Ok, I just moved up to superior wi I I have no idea on junk yards around here would this be something an auto parts store may have

Comment

Here are some photos of the mess I found pulling the resistor tonightimage.jpgimage.jpg
        image.jpg
        image.jpg

Comment

You are a candidate for retermination. You have a short circuit/possible fire waiting to happen. Unbelievable.

Blue/red comes from the blower motor to the resistor. It grounds through the blower control switch.

blue/white is low speed (max resistance)
          blue/yellow is medium speed
          blue/black is high speed (least resistance)

The ECA signal wire from the blower control switch (blue/red) is only live when on medium or high speed.

Make sure you remove the HEATER fuse before you play with electricity.
          Good luck.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 03-13-2014, 09:10 PM.

Comment

So what should I do to correct this when I fix it? I have a Haynes manual, not sure if it has the electrical diagrams for this but I will look.

Comment

You need an EVTM (Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) on eBay. Select a nice clean one and make an offer.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 03-13-2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Ok thanks a lot.

Comment

Went to the junk yard today picked up a resistor. Got it put in and sadly it didn't work. Not sure if the resistor is bad or if the problem is the wiring. I'm no electrician and my expertise stops at flipping on a light switch. Is there an easier way to monkey with this than laying on my back and trying to squeeze my fat fingers and hand up under the dash? The car at the junk yard had the dash ripped off and the resistor was right there. Thanks

Comment

It looks like the previous owner intentionally wired it for a single speed. He did a butcher job. That is why I gave you the wire colors. Looking into the back of the connector (wire side), starting upper right blue/black, blue/red, blue/white, blue/yellow.
                    If you want to restore it to factory condition yourself, then you need to purchase a terminal extractor tool, a set of open barrel crimpers and some .250 tangless, brass Yazaki terminals.

You have to find out what wires he cut, twisted together and put tape on.

Do you have a 12V test light? If so, check if the blue/red becomes hot when you turn the ignition key on and turn the blower fan on. I am betting probably not, even though it should.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 03-14-2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I have none of that but I will pick up what I can tomorrow. What size extractor tool will I need? And where would I get the correct crimper? And yazaki terminals? Not sure where to even start looking.

Comment

I recommend crimpers from eBay. Open barrel terminals from Eastern Beaver.
                        You want to have the terminals inside the factory plastic connectors. No tape. No short circuits.
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 03-14-2014, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Heater Blower Motor Resistor LOCATION???
                          When turning on, fan only goes SLOW speed, not Med/High

Comment

The resistor is located high on the left hand side of the blower assembly to the right of the drivers feet. It is just above the blower wheel.
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 01-10-2016, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Autozone doesnt list/carry the resistor. Where do I get one? And, what does a resistor look like?

Comment

Working...
                              X