Horn Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn Wire

What color is the horn wire under the hood and where is it located. I have a green wire by the pass head light but no horn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The horn is under the right front bumper. Look for the wire there. Don't remember colour.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The horn wire is green. There are two connectors. One for the left horn and one for the right horn. They are located behind each headlight down low. The left horn was for the LX only.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 06-20-2014, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Later models had two horns? Like that redundancy as they tend to rust out located down low where they are.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Copper with brass terminals don't rust. They oxidize and corrode under aqueous conditions. The problem is in releasing the existing terminal from the 1A connector. It's very tricky and a lot of experience is required. The tang must be levelled before the terminal is extracted.
          It is far easier to cut off the old terminal and crimp on a new tanged, brass, open barrel terminal. The wiring should be present on all models, since it is only a simple splice. It's the horn that is missing. Both horn notes must be different in order to have the proper stereophonic impact.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 06-21-2014, 10:29 AM.

Comment

LXs have dual horns, but not for redundancy. It's for the sophisticated dual-tone (the factory ones were tuned to two different frequencies) harmony.

When my horns fail, I re-route the green wire up into the engine compartment and install the new horn(s) there for ease of future replacement.
            88L black, dailydriver
            88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg
            3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
            1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

My horn's dead. Presume it's the horn itself, but where's the relay, in case I need to check that. (Haynes is no help.)

Comment

Horn relay is under the left side of the dash near the ECM.
                "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                "Wenona"-89L parts car
                "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Thanks, jj! Has anyone ever had one of those go bad?

Comment

I haven't. Don't break your neck. Disconnect the horn and push on the horn button to hear the relay click. If it clicks, that doesn't mean that it is good. So, put a test light on the green horn wire. It should light up when you push the horn button.

I have two horn relays, because I want a different sound for my power locks. I am leaning towards a sputnik sounding horn.

Comment

Working...
                    X