No announcement yet.

"new" 88 just bought, carb all ready pulled Help w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Festy46, I just sent the pics to myself. You can take them down if you would like. Once again, I really appreciate it.

Rick

Comment

Have an update, she's alive! Tore carb all of the way down and soaked in Berrymans. Found some gummed up orifices. Took some cranking, but it does run and idles. Wants do dog out if I press the gas pedal though, but I can keep it running if I feather the pedal. Brings me to a few questions if I can get a picture up it will clarify. Festy46 your pics are a godsend! Appreciate it. 1 question is where is the connection for the electric choke? The other is I don't know where the vacuum actuator linkage hooks to the carb.

Appreciate any help.

Rick

[/img]

Comment

Before I start, any reference to "left" or "right" will be your left and right as you face the engine from the front of the car.

As far as the stumble on acceleration, make sure the float level is at the correct height by looking at the sight glass on the left side. It should be at least half way up in the glass when the car is running. With the engine off look down in the carb and work the throttle linkage from idle to wide open. You should see a good "squirt" of gas shoot into the back barrel of the carb. If you don't, you may have a plugged line from the accel pump to the carb throat or you may have lost one of the check balls that are in the accelerator pump section. There should be one ball for inlet check and one for outlet check. If that seems to be ok, you can "cheat" a little by increasing you base idle speed. Turn the plastic knob on the left side of the carb and increase the rpm's by a 100 or so. That should give you a little better head start toward acceleration.
        Another thing you might try is to take the tamper seal out of the little tin "thingy" on the lower back side of the carb and open up the idle mixture a little bit.

For your linkage question: Look on the right side of the carb just above the throttle shaft. There is a bolt holding 3 arms to the carb. The outside one is the fast idle cam, the one in the middle connects to a rod that goes up to the choke shaft, and the inside one connects to the actuator you have in question. I assume you did mean the "linkage" and not the vacuum line.

The electric choke should connect to a wire from the alternator. Locate the small single wire that plugs into the back of the alternator and follow it. You should find a connection on it somewhere that will connect to the choke connector. Do not connect the choke to the heavy single wire that is connected to the alternator by a stud and nut. That is full voltage. You only want 7 volts for the choke.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Thanks a heap Festy46. I may have "lost" one of the balls. I only remember one and the kit only had one. I do get a squirt of gas where I did not get one before I took it apart.

I will try and find the plug for the choke. After I had posted my question, I did a search and found that info (a little backwards on my part....). With your help I ought to be able to get the linkage hooked up too. Then I'll take her and get some fresh gas put in along with a can of "help", probably dry gas and carb cleaner.

Appreciate your help. I hope to get a good manual soon, so I can be a little more self sufficient.

Rick

Comment

Working...
          X