Question about what I think is a clog in a/c line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about what I think is a clog in a/c line

Well I picked up a can of brake cleaner to start cleaning out the a/c lines before installation, but one hose appears to be clogged, I first noticed when I sprayed the brake cleaner down the hose, and it spat out the top, and not dripped out the other end.

Is there some sort of valve in this hose that only opens with allot off pressure?

I can't think of any other reason why it would be doing this, I mean it is 100% blocked, even tried blowing through it, and nothing, not even a small hiss.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Forgive me if I am off base here but are your hoses still connected at the firewall? If so, there is a thermal expansion valve on the other side of the firewall at the evaporator. This valve opens slightly when your a/c system calls for cooling. Otherwise, it remains closed. The TXV is connected to the high side or small hose.
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Originally posted by dalebwilson View Post
      Forgive me if I am off base here but are your hoses still connected at the firewall? If so, there is a thermal expansion valve on the other side of the firewall at the evaporator. This valve opens slightly when your a/c system calls for cooling. Otherwise, it remains closed. The TXV is connected to the high side or small hose.
      My bad, the a/c lines are off the car. Just one hose in particular is not allowing anything to pass through it.

It is one of the rubber hoses that connects to the a/c compressor.

Comment

Ok good. I know of no internal valve on the a/c hose. If it were mine, I would use a combination of a stiff wire and compressed air to clean the hose out. Remember to replace your accumulator/dryer and pull a good vacuum before recharging.
        "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
        “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

coat hanger time

Comment

They still make metal coathangers? Lol
            -Bryant

Comment

Is it possible that the hose has collapsed internally like front brake lines can do.
              An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Would it be possible to puncture the flexible line from the inside with a metal coat hanger?

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                  Would it be possible to puncture the flexible line from the inside with a metal coat hanger?
                  Just be careful; get it as straight as you can, and don't force it through.

Here is a picture of a clog. I'm not sure how it would get in your brake line in the first place:
                  Last edited by TominMO; 07-19-2014, 04:47 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    Just be careful; get it as straight as you can, and don't force it through.

Here is a picture of a clog. I'm not sure how it would get in your brake line in the first place:
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clog
                    Good one about the Clog lol and I didn't say anything about a (clog) in the brake line, what I am asking is, it possible for the AC line to collapse internally and cause a problem. Now about the hanger, take a pair of needle nose pliers and bend one end of the hanger over tight, then pinch it down tight against it's self, there ya go no sharp edges, then pull the hanger all the way through the AC hose. good luck
                    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

A piece of garage door cable did the trick.

A/C system, is all together, and charged. Seems to be working for the most part, just not super cold like I thought. Also the compressor isn't cyling, but I think that is just because it isn't getting cold enough to need to shut it off.

Comment

What did you find in there ? If a hose was stopped up What does your condenser flow like?
                        Donn

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                          I think that is just because it isn't getting cold enough to need to shut it off.

I am going to use R-12 because of the low boiling point.
                          I can even get it locally on Kijiji.
                          Last edited by bravekozak; 07-19-2014, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by twopass View Post
                            What did you find in there ? If a hose was stopped up What does your condenser flow like?
                            Flow on the condenser was just fine.

Didn't see what the clog was in the line, but it cleared up by jamming the cable down it, then I hit it with brake cleaner

Comment

if comp is not cycling and register temp is too warm, might be too much refrigerant. there's a sight glass on the OEM system accumulator to help get close to correct charge. did you use guages when recharging?

Comment

Working...
                              X