HEATER A/C BLOWER WTF? Haynes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW! This thing is gonna work now!
    - at least the blower, heat and defrost- I won't know about the A/C until I get it back together.

I've been in bed a week with a bad bout of muscular hyper-tension
    and also feeling the accumulative heat as the summer temps stay on here in Florida-
    This looked to be the last day in the 90's, but only 87 predicted now and then some cooling down to low 80's.

I finally got back out to test things some more-

As I said I was getting constant power on a blower line out of the resistor and thought that was screwed up-
    but then I've come to realize that the multi-speed switch works the fan by GROUNDING it- I guess at three levels, instead of turning the power on otherwise

apparently then the power is always there, and the big change came last week when I replaced the INLINE FUSE under the hood near a couple of a/c relays.

IF I HAD FOUND THAT FIRST, AND REPLACED IT, I WOULD'NT HAVE GONE THROUGH ANY OF THIS I THINK!

so I got it hooked up with the fan still just resting ion the floor, turned the key on, turned the climate control switch

and FAN ON- at all three levels-

I was really thinking maybe I need another resistor- and $34 with a $12 ship was all that seemed available on ebay-
    really sticking it to US more than many other makes and models there,
    and I was contemplating using another cheaper one somehow, or just wiring it full speed with a new switch.

So don't have to bother there which makes me very happy-

If you're parting things out- don't forget the HEATER RESISTOR that sits way up over the blower motor-

and maybe you can give us a better price and we'll all be happpy-
    but as for me- don't need it now.

Now I've just got to put the blower back up in there which shouldn't be too hard with all the junk outta the way

but not today- I'll wait til it's 80 and the mosquitos are thinned out too.

then I'll see whats up with the a/c finally.

I cut the connectors off the blower connector- which I guess I didn't need to, but I lengthened the wire so it will be an easy access if I have any future issues with it.
    Last edited by harpon; 09-18-2014, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Good work, on these festies I would rather change the clutch or pull and rebuild the engine than go through pulling the heater core or any part under the dash. Like you, old injuries dictate what is easy and what is not lol !
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Well I couldn't resist fiddlin with it some more-

Got the fan back up in there without too much trouble and just a bit of cursing.

Tried the A/C and not getting anything- I played around with the jury-rigged toggle and connections-
        thought for a moment the air might have been cooler than outside but finally decided I really couldn't tell
        noticed one of the connectors from the harness had no where to go
        the toggle was lighting up on both "on" and "off" and not going off then- thought that unusual

Realized I could hook up a new used A'C button without installing it completely inside the climate control-
        it'll slide in eventually, but I was just testing
        YES! both connectors went onto the two in the compartment on the harness, including the one not accounted for

There was an immediate difference, and when I click on the a/c button- although it does not light up- there is a noticle slowing down of the idle speed-
        it feels like the compressor is kicking on, if it just isn't taking too much power from motor functions otherwise

yet still no cool air- probably normal for a 23 going on 24 year old car, tho it was advertised with a/c and "the guy" said it just needed a blower motor
        When I checked under the hood after shutting it back off-
        the a/c lines near both the Hi and Low fittings are HOT, not cool
        the inline fuse out there is still intact after a lot of switching on and off.

I figured it would at least need a going through and a recharge before the air MIGHT work
        anybody got input about the HOT lines?
        should they be cool, or at least, NOT hot?
        Last edited by harpon; 09-18-2014, 10:32 AM.

Comment

The little bulb is probably burned out inside your A/C button.

Comment

Working...
          X