Rack and Pinion Headache!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack and Pinion Headache!

So I need to replace the rack and pinion on my 88 LX and ordered a replacement rack from Rock Auto, but it was too big in diameter for my bushings so I returned it. I saw they offered a "return and rebuild" service so I decided to go that route, but got an e-mail yesterday saying they were unable to rebuild it and were returning it to me. I've read that the racks for 88 - 89s are different from the 90 - 93s and was wondering if I can just use the bushings/mounts from a 90 - 93 and order a new 90 - 93 rack, or is there some other difference that would prevent me from doing this.
    93 GL

You can use either rack but you have to have that racks bushing and clamps. Clamps might be the same but I know the bushings are different.
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Ok thanks! I guess I could have kept the original rack I ordered and looked for some bushings....OH well!
      93 GL

Comment

Another option sactnato; I had mine rebuilt while I waited.....about an hour.....in Hollywood Florida about two years ago.....I can get the info if you'd like. I think it was 150.00 roughly.
        MP
        92 GL, 98k
        77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

Someone on here rebuilds them, cant remember who.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
            Someone on here rebuilds them, cant remember who.
            I think Mental did it for a while, but now I'm not sure.
            92 GL, 98k
            77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

Originally posted by avitsefdrof View Post
              Another option sactnato; I had mine rebuilt while I waited.....about an hour.....in Hollywood Florida about two years ago.....I can get the info if you'd like. I think it was 150.00 roughly.
              MP
              I'm sure there are places near you but here's the info:
              Sams Auto Steering
              954-588-3306
              Hollywood, Fl
              92 GL, 98k
              77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

That's great info there. I know Greg (Eurotiva) is about to make some bushings for them. Mental had some efi bushings I think they sold out though. Carb and efi needs different bushings.
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

I didn't think about having it rebuilt locally, but I'll check into that. Did they also install new inner tie rod ends? I paid $150 for the first rack I ordered which included new inners and it only took 3 days to get here.
                  93 GL

Comment

That's a good deal
                    -Greg
                    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                    Redneck Engineer
                    FOTY - '09
                    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Remember: the early racks use different inner rod ends than the later racks. I also re-build the racks, but only the later ones.
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

An FYI. The rebuild bushings that I ordered from FourGreen do not fit the 88/89 steel racks.

Comment

I grabbed a rack and bushings off of a 91 today and will installing it tomorrow.
                          93 GL

Comment

So I was installing the 91 rack and for some reason couldn't get the steering coupler retaining bolt started then I noticed the the shaft on my 88 was only notched on one side, but the 91 has a groove around it. I have the coupler as far up as it will go, but still need it to go about 1/16 inch farther up for the bolt to be aligned with the groove. I only compared the bushing locations before I installed it, but it looks like both are notched/grooved at the same location. I was wondering if anyone knows if the couplers on the 88-89s are longer than the 90-93s.
                            Last edited by sactnato; 08-27-2014, 08:26 AM.
                            93 GL

Comment

I have an 88 LX and need my R&P redone. Does anyone have diagrams of exactly how to do a replacement on this?
                              The Haynes manual has nothing on this. Where could I send the unit to have it reconditioned? What kind of repair
                              shops would offer a rebuild locally? I am in Greensboro, NC. Need any and all advice.

Thanks for any help
                              SEMPER FIDELIS

Comment

Working...
                              X