Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I jack up the front end to spin my front tires..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I jack up the front end to spin my front tires..

...for some reason I was expecting them to spin like the back ones do when I spin em of course they are not gonna cuz they have other stuff connected to em. I find that the drivers side wheel when wiggled from 12 oclock to 3 oclock position does have some play in it. BUT when I spin the passenger side by hand that is definitely the one making the noise I'm hearing, funny its not the one where the play is.
    I really want to try the wheel bearings by myself but just don't have the time and am afraid I will be stranded and not get it done by Monday for work. Plus I have never done this and afraid of all the horror stories. I'm just gonna have my guy who put this bearing and new rotor in back in June to do it again. He only charges me $60 but it has to be redone this time. No Aspire junkers in the junk yards around me.

You should message iceracerdude, i know he still lurks just never posts anymore. At the very least he might know a couple good Jy's.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Or could it be the differential? Cuz it is run off the passenger side wheel.

Comment

You wanna go back to the same guy after he did it in June and it's already failed?

Is he going to give a price break then?

Comment

There is a spacer that MUST be used, and often gets left out. When left out, they fail.
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Both wheels are attached to the differential.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
              Both wheels are attached to the differential.
              I thought the passenger side was the one side with the differential bearing? I don't know though. Obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                There is a spacer that MUST be used, and often gets left out. When left out, they fail.
                I asked him about the spacer and he said he placed it back in. He has done a few other wheel bearings for me no problem. Thats why I keep bringing up the differential being the issue but I can't tell for sure if it is the differential or wheel bearing. Do you know of a sure way to be able to tell which it is?

Comment

Ya there is an easy way to tell. New wheel bearing. 30 mins of work later. And if it still makes noise. You have other issues to address.....

Comment

Originally posted by koRnhead View Post
                    Ya there is an easy way to tell. New wheel bearing. 30 mins of work later. And if it still makes noise. You have other issues to address.....
                    30 minutes on a front wheel bearing...OK.....Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Sorry, didn't see your question sooner! Wheel on the ground, put your foot on top of the tire and rock, see if you see/feel any play. That is one quick and dirty test.
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Seriously man just do a wheel bearing. They aren't hard. And answer your question. The last one I did was 28 mins from jack under the car to car back on the ground.

Comment

No way I could do it that fast. I have never done one sooooooo. I have done the rear ones a few times but they are pretty simple... Why does everyone talk about how hard the front ones are to mess with and all if it can be done in 30 min. or less?
                          Last edited by jimdigs; 09-08-2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Depends on the condition. I'd spray some pb blaster in there first. Incase rusty

Comment

Not saying you can do one that fast. But they are not hard. If you have basic mechanical skills you can do it in a Sat morning.
                              Everyone thinks they are hard because if you screw em up. You get to do it again inside of 5000 miles.
                              Take your time, use the spacer that's in there and buy timkin bearings.

Comment

Working...
                              X