No announcement yet.

Pulley Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing that this is an '86 motor, and the crank changed in '87. I have an 87 and have the four bolts for the A/C pulley. If this is correct, all the people who have gen1 B6s and can just swap over their B3 pulley have the 87-89 B6. I posted earlier that my B6 valve cover and its gasket was different from the Festy ones, and I have an '87 motor. So yeah, this could be another change that happened early on, and hotfordcat and I have the 87 (or in his case possibly 86) motor.
    Last edited by TominMO; 09-27-2014, 08:28 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I messed up... my B6 was from a Canadian '86. My intake is off an '88
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I'll look at the shop car tomorrow, it's a b6. I hope I can help
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Thanks guys. I have an 86 B6 in my 91GL, I'll check out the pulley on that one!!!
          Chuck
          Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
          If money will fix it, it's not broken
          91 GL -Ol' Rusty
          93 GL - Lil Red
          91 L - Tweetystiva
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Just went out and re-confirmed that I do have the 4-bolt pulleys; also, my 323's build date is 4/87.

I'm theorizing that the early 323s got leftover B5 cranks, used in the GLC 1.5 liters, which might have had the 2-bolt pulley design/narrow key slot. When they ran out of them, they started using the newer small-nose crank design we are all familiar with.

If you can find any contacts with a GLC to confirm this, you might be able to get a crank pulley from one of those guys.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I did a search at car-part.com for GLC crank pulleys. They didn't have "crankshaft pulleys" as a search item, but did have harmonic balancers; apparently that's another name for them. So these 23 sources might be good leads. I tried to paste the link but it didn't work, so you can just go to their website and do the same search. Looked pretty promising. Some single, some double pulleys.

There was even a place in Hartford, SD. You might get them to take a phone pic of the part and send it to you.

Last edited by TominMO; 09-28-2014, 10:40 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

A search at car-part.com also revealed 12 crank pulleys for 1986 323s. Again, get them to take a phone pic for you, or at least describe whether it has two or four bolt holes.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

i been following this post and did a little behind-the-scenes parts search on a mazda EPC. i believe i checked every mazda model that had a 1.6 SOHC,DOHC,T/C,NA from mid 80s to mid 90s and every crank pulley shown had 4 holes. very interested what the final outcome will be about this.

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
                    i been following this post and did a little behind-the-scenes parts search on a mazda EPC. i believe i checked every mazda model that had a 1.6 SOHC,DOHC,T/C,NA from mid 80s to mid 90s and every crank pulley shown had 4 holes. very interested what the final outcome will be about this.
                    The Mazda GLC was a 1.5 liter motor. I suspect they had some cranks left over from that run, and used them up in the early 323s.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. The problem was the crank gear. I pulled the whole set-up off my old 91 B3 engine and removed the B6 gear, now every thing works!!!
                      Chuck
                      91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                      93 GL - Lil Red
                      91 L - Tweetystiva

Comment

Glad to hear it!!! I knew something was fishy about what you were describing! LOL

Back on the road again!! :thumbs_up:
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Great to know, thanks for letting us know the resolution for this.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                            Great to know, thanks for letting us know the resolution for this.
                            Nothing like hands-on experience to increase your knowledge. Thanks for all your input guys.
                            Chuck
                            91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                            93 GL - Lil Red
                            91 L - Tweetystiva

Comment

Working...
                            X