Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"New" to me 93 Festiva BIG problem need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gomez:

Plug on the VAF is clean and tight, this stalling and idle issue has been going on for 3 weeks and because it was a hit and miss deal I wasn't sure what it was and I've been researching it like crazy.

As I posted ( maybe in this thread or another) I actually got the car to start and idle last Thursday night after struggling with it in a Micky D's parking lot for three hours!

IT ran great after I cleared the computer, pulled Neg cable on battery and then step on Brake pedal for 5 seconds, warmed it up for a few minutes and followed the GF home, about a hundred yards or so from the Apt complex it crapped out but first started not idile at stop lights and trying to die which i finally did.

I actually ran a jumper wire to the fuel pump test relay and made the pump run everytime the key is on.

Finally figuring out how to get the OBD I system to cough up trouble codes was a great help and it is signaling code 34 bad ISC bpa!

Manual says this should have a resistance reading of 7.5 to 9.5 Oms Mine is 13.5 so I am thinking to high a resistance is causing "bad" feedback from the ISC to the computer and not allowing the VAF to "signal" proper air flow.

A ISC is on the way from E bay with high hopes it will cure the problem!

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress, the ISC should be here by Thursday.
    Last edited by heavyMetal; 10-05-2014, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Update:
      the "new" ISC arrived in yesterdays mail and was installed as soon as I got home.

No other changes made and the car fired instantly and ran great!! Idle was to high, as I had played with it in the vain hope of getting it to stay lit, adjusted that back down with the idle air adjustment and she ran for 10 minutes or so before I had to call it a night.

I shut it off rather than it quiting which was a nice feeling!

Tonight I will fine tune the idle and call it good.

Once again 1990new hit this square and a thanks to zoom for the idle adjustment settings.

Comment

Love this site
        N3WBI3

Comment

Awesome - thanks for updating your fix!
          - Form should follow function...

Comment

So a last update on this issue!

After the ISC was installed it did run right from the start but idles was way to high, fiddling with it just made everything worse and it acted like it was out of fuel.

Tank was filled and no change, finally I ran out of patience and took it to the small shop on the corner near the apartment I live in.

They had the car a week struggled with it as I did and then decided the fuel pump must be bad ( i replaced it with a new one in late July)

Instant smooth running just like it had been when we bought it ( for whole two days, LOL) she's been on the road now for most of a week and runs very well, we are checking milage on the current tank of fuel.

The GF has just about decided this one is not for her: it's to hard to steer ( no power steering) wish she had mentioned that before I put new wheel bearing in both front axles!!

Car runs good all wheel noise is now gone and I think with the new motor and all we may sell it for a small profit, sure wish the body didn't have some small dents in it but we'll see what the locals will pay for a car that get 40 or so mpg.

Not bad looking really just a bear for her to drive and I am not fond of driving either and that says something.

Thanks all for the help you've given.
            Last edited by heavyMetal; 10-23-2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Replace the top hats with ones from a Kia Rio to make steering easier. Also, don't start turning until you start moving. These cars never really needed power steering when in proper condition.

Running around outside the asylum again with my tappy talky appy
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
              X