No announcement yet.

front end makes the tires radial belt seperate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the date codes on the tires? I thought the 758s had been discontinued a while back?
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

You need to go to a bigger rim. 12's are unsafe. I also gave my new old 12's to a buddy and he had to have one replaced because one separated on him. If you just go to a 13 it will help but you may loose a couple mpgs.
      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

I believe the problem may not be your car. More likely poor tire quality. I had the same problem with those khumo tires. One option you have is to go to tirerack.com and order a set of 12" Yokahamas (what your Festiva came from the factory with) shipped to your house. Then have reputable local tire shop mount and balance them for you. That is what I did. I bought Yokas for my wife's LX 4 years ago (tirerack) and was amazed how smooth the ride was with NO shake or shimmy at all. I fought tire shimmy on my low mile 90L for years. Even after a tire rotation and balance it never went away. I just installed a set of yokas on it 2 weeks ago. No shake at all, at any speed. I wish I'd done it sooner. As long as These 12" yokas are available I will never put anything else on a Festiva that I drive. One side note. I did do an Aspire swap once, to do away with a bent rear axle, and regreted it. When it all was done, I wished I'd just replaced the axle. Its worth mentioning that properly done Aspire swap (with used tires) ended up costing me more than these new 12" tires.
        Last edited by David88; 11-01-2014, 09:34 AM.
        '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
        '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
        '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
        '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
        '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
        '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
        '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

I'm guessing David doesn't do much in the way of spirited driving

The 12's are fine for puttering around town, but when you feel the sidewall folding in on itself in some cornering...its time for real tires lol
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
          X