No announcement yet.

Replacing rear wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been doing it though. Fresh grease. Cleaning everything. I'll have to look into the tightening thing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
      My first experience with my first car wheel bearings taught me shops don't know what they are doing.

Les Schwab did them first.
      Failed in 9 months
      They re did them for free and failed again in 1yr.
      Then I even had a friend "mechanic" do it and fail again later.

All times at all the places
      they never replaced the races or cleaned out the old grease.

It led to failure everytime.

That's about the time I started learning to do tasks myself so I went and redid them the right way
      And they never failed again.
      You might have been to a shop but none of what you mentioned were mechanics or even close to one. You with utube instructables and this forum will put real care and quality into the job.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
        oriellys bearings.
        Those are probably Chinese and the quality can be questionable. I installed new bearings on the right rear of my 91 I used to own and the Chinese bearings lasted a few months. I installed some USA made bearings and put 60k miles on them over a couple of years and they were still fine when I sold it. I would try to source some USA, Japanese or German made bearings and make sure your not tightening them down too much. I snug them tight to seat them and then back off until they feel smooth with very little resistance.
        Similar to how this guy does it.
        When adjusting wheel bearings, tighten the wheel bearing to 240 to 300 pounds while rotating the hub and spinning the drum. Learn about pre-loading wheel bea...
        Rick
        1993 Ford Festiva
        1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
        1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
        2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
          You might have been to a shop but none of what you mentioned were mechanics or even close to one. You with utube instructables and this forum will put real care and quality into the job.
          I completely agree.
          But these "artists" who take extreme pride in their work are far and few between.
          And very hard to fine.
          Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

You ought to try hiring one. The ASE tests are a joke. Any one can prep for and pass the tests. The 2 year colleges train their kids to pass these tests but fail miserably to prepare them to go to work where a good product is necessary. The kids only hope is to find work for highly advertised chains ..new car dealers, tire stores or anyplace that pays their help by flatrate. Now you have desperate young folks with college loans to pay encouraged to work as fast as they possibly can. Some are trying to start families on top of all this.

The college is necessary to learn the theory and history for what we have. A journeyman's program is next to give 4 years worth or more if needed of experience working under a group of carded journeyman technicians.
            During this training time many seminars are given to train in safety, work hazards etc. Cards are earned for such things as forklift operations if needed. There are also Seminars offered by the parts suppliers to educate the latest in all areas of repair. These Seminars are career long endeavors to stay current.

Now, back to the wheel bearings. Every short cut possible is encouraged. First up is a service writer or parts guy ordering down the first parts available. Prices will be high for mark up and because they were actually in stock. Also likely low quality. Everybody demands the lowest price so they can mark up to quality cost. Next up is a person working as fast as possible to make these cheap parts fit. The packing may not be done completely. Parts may not be fitted properly. They may not be seating the races completely. They may not be following the pretorque procedure to the letter. They may miss the zone that is the sweet spot for final adjustment. The grease they use may not be the greatest. The seal may not be seated and let some of the outside environment in. The dust cap may not be seated or have a ding that prevents the outside environment from coming in. Wear on the spindle may not be noticed or addressed. The spindle may not be greased right at critical points. The spindle or bearings may not be cleaned properly.

Each one of those points above in a very simple job could be the weak link in a chain. The flatrate young person working without the supervision of an experienced trainer pressed for time and money is very unlikely to reject the cheap bearings or seals or demand a new dust cap. The young person still has to get all the remaining steps right very quickly if luck got him good materials to work with.

Now if you want someone friendly, helpful and treats your car with care ( no finger prints or foot prints or new chips to the paint) you are asking for something very very rare.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

The pass rear spindle was reverse threaded? Wish i would've known that... Completely destroyed the threads on mine

Comment

Working...
              X