No announcement yet.

93 Festiva Won't start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok problem is though when I switch the lights to park (no headlamps but the other lights) or off the battery light turns on on the dash. I suspect a short. Anything else it could mean? If it is the fusible link I will replace that one as well. Is that one 15A as well or is it a different amperage, also did I get the amperage correct for the other two I already did?
    Last edited by Meepersly; 11-15-2014, 11:29 PM.
    88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Comment

EGI and Head should be 30 amp, Main should be 40. Clean it all up, and use cartridge fuses in place of the fusible links that are on there. Clean the batter terminals and all that wiring.

Battery light means there is not enough voltage being read from the alternator. Measure the volts, while running, that the battery is getting at the battery.

Engine off should be 12.8 or close to that, and engine on should be (in a perfect world) 14.4 volts but 13.7 or up to 14.4 is OK.
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Meepersly, Here are the PAL fuses that you need. (pic thanks to bravekozak) You can pick them up at any auto parts store. Clean the terminals as shown and clean all battery and engine/chassis ground connections in the same manner. This will save you much future problems,

"Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
        “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Problem with the fusible links block is the terminals that need cleaning have corroded and broken off already. I understand what the battery light means, it isn't on when the lights are switched to on, but when I switch them to off it turns on. Couldn't that be a short and it is drawing so much current the device sensing the alternator power isn't receiving the correct amount? I will be replacing the HEAD fusible link with an actual fuse and see what happens.

Comment

When the headlights are turned on the car idles faster to generate more power from the aternator to meet the increased demand. At least I think that's how it works. So when you turn the lights on you may be getting a good charge. Could be the alternator or alternator wiring and connetions. Some auto parts retailers test alternators and batteries for free.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

ok I'll bring it in and get it tested.

Comment

Originally posted by Meepersly View Post
                ok I'll bring it in and get it tested.
                You don't have to take it out, do the cleaning first, and if you still have the problem,a multimeter can be used, takes seconds.

Running around outside the asylum again with my tappy talky appy
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Alternator died anyways. Gave a friend a jump who had a shorted alternator and it burned mine up. Will work on the headlamp circuit.

Comment

Ok maybe alternator didn't die It's giving me 15v at the battery when running. Turns out the fuse on the MAIN was burnt out and when i replaced it and charged the battery it started right up.

Comment

Meep, I believe you need an assortment of terminals from easternbeaver.com
                      I believe this is the one for the fuse link.

Solid brass tab made by Yazaki in Japan.
                      Fits wires from 2 - 3 sqmm (14 - 12 AWG).
                      Locks into connector housings.
                      Tab is .250 inch in width.
                      3 sq mm Male Tab Terminal - $0.13 ea
                      Just buy a set of open barrel crimpers on eBay, Practice on some junkyard wire.
                      You will only lose about a quarter of an inch in length.
                      The new terminals will be identical to factory spec.
                      Open barrels allow for the ears to be curled around and dig into the center of the wire.
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 12-16-2014, 09:19 PM.

Comment

ok new problem fuses are sorted out. Now when it is running the battery light is on while the vehicle is running. It wont turn off no matter what I do. I have 15v at the battery when it is running. Could the alternator be producing too much voltage?

Comment

Working...
                        X