idle extremely high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle extremely high

I am new to festivas. My 93 festiva was running great until one day i put it on the interstate for a few miles. When i went to get off the exit ramp and pushed the clutch the engine speed never came down. Now when you start the car it goes straight to what sounds like 4000 rpm! The car doesn't have a tach but it is extremely high. I found a used IAC valve and changed that. Did not help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check the dashpot actuator on the passenger side of the throttle body. The plungers are prone to sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Had to back off the screw on my 92 dashpot to get it to stop causing a high idle. It would start at 3000/3200 rpm and s-l-o-w-l-y drop down to 2000, sometimes 1700.
      Then it still had a slight high idle about 1500, had to adjust the idle screw on top of the throttle body to get it down to 700.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I checked the dashpot and i think that might have been the culprit! I lubed it and worked it back and forth a few times and it seemed to be alot better on my test drive. .. in the meantime while it was sitting the battery went dead. I changed the battery but now i have no headlights. All the others are working fine. I checked the fuse link under the hood. It is good. I can hear a fast continuous clicking near the battery. It sounds like a relay. But now I'm having trouble finding one at the part stores.

Comment

Clean all battery and ground connections and report back. Make sure your battery voltage is 12 volts and around 13-14 with the engine running.
          "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
          “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Fuses under the dash too.
            1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Ok i. Checked all the battery connections and the battery voltage. Still no headlights. Checked all fuses under dash and fuse link under hood. All good. Still all lights working other than headlights. And not the bulbs either.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtucker84 View Post
                Ok i. Checked all the battery connections and the battery voltage. Still no headlights. Checked all fuses under dash and fuse link under hood. All good. Still all lights working other than headlights. And not the bulbs either.
                The headlights and park lights both have there own separate relays. That was the fast clicking you heard...
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                X