Need help removing engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help removing engine

I have a 91 L model, I am planning on swapping the motor. However, I do not have an engine hoist. How can I get it out without one?

4 friends with strong backs? stout tree and a rope? turn car upside down and shake? c'mon. is this a trick question?

Comment

Get on craigslist and buy one. It will make life so much easier. I got mine for 69 dollars.
      Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

I just built a tripod out of 4x4s lying around and a spare block and tackle setup from a sailboat. Worked better then my buddy's hoist i usually use

Comment

alright thanks you guys. i am in college so money is tied up. about how much does it weigh?

Comment

Old swing set. Motor weighs 250 with everything on it
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I've pulled one out with a person lift, like what they use in the nursing home. They are good for about 250lbs if your careful. (That was 10 years ago and I have a proper cherry picker now )
              Last edited by nonamekid; 01-22-2015, 08:36 PM.
              The Festiva Store
              Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Take the head off and remove in pieces , you can lift that . Install it same way . Head gaskets are 21.99 at advance .
                New build on the way .

Comment

Many years ago, wife and I removed the engine with a 2X4 and coat hangers, one of us on each side, squat, shoulder under the 2X4, lift.

I would replace the coat hangers with a ratcheting tie down strap.
                  Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                  Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                  "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                    Many years ago, wife and I removed the engine with a 2X4 and coat hangers, one of us on each side, squat, shoulder under the 2X4, lift.

I would replace the coat hangers with a ratcheting tie down strap.
                    Agreed; also I would use a 4x4, and screw a piece of angle-iron onto the bottom side for extra strength. May or may not be necessary
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                      Agreed; also I would use a 4x4, and screw a piece of angle-iron onto the bottom side for extra strength. May or may not be necessary
                      4X4 alone would be plenty, IMO, and the 2X4 could use a little reinforcement if you aren't a little crazy.

Scitzz means crazy, Yo!

But you have to be a little crazy to spend time on these cars, right?
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                      X