Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else say screw it to the timing belt cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else say screw it to the timing belt cover?

My timing belt cover is pretty soft from an oil leak and has holes and tears in it as well. Anyone run theirs long term without one?

I'm about to cut out just the part around the water pump where the holes and tears are, then install just a little bit at the top to keep the noise down a little from the timing belt.

Toss it. I remove them and leave them off of every car I have to own and work on.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I don't use the top cover on any of mine. I like the bottom for timing marks.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

On my V6 I cut the cover right around the crank pulley so I can keep the timing marks, the rest went in the garbage, I even pulled off the plate behind the timing belt

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I leave mine on because I believe there will be a lot of wear on the pulleys and belt from grit and I don't have to remove them very often.
          When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Just buy some new covers from Four Green. Nice.

Comment

I put them back on ome piece of kicked up gravel,a nut,bolt,socket,etc, dropped.in the wrong place while the car is running could be a problem.If I don't have them I don't panic but if I have a choice I run them.I have been an A tech at dealer and independent garages since 1984 I often have heard oh you don't need that, it's just more unnecessary junk.If every 1 million cars they left 1 dollars worth of stuff off every car they'd save a million dollars they do not put stuff on the cars they don't think are neccasary for something.
              30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

The timing cover oil seals were swollen and poking out on my BP swap donor. I priced new seals for the cover and they were almost $45! I de-greased all the covers, then washed all the covers and seals in dawn dish soap and dried them well. I cut 2" out of the swollen area of the seal, then put black RTV in the channel and put the seals back in and taped them in until dry. Good as new. Ill be running covers because above post ^. My luck though it would be my finger as I grab for said "nut,bolt,socket,etc, dropped in the wrong place"
                '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

I'm just going to put the top part back on and leave open behind the water pump. There wasn't anything left of it anyways to stop dirt.

I started the car and drove a little bit around the block. It's a little bit louder at idle with the cover off but not that noticeable while cruising.

Comment

I said screw it just yesterday. However I did put the bottom portion on.
                    Whoa, that was fun!

Comment

Covers not only keep stuff away from the belt. But also oil from engine leaks off the alt. learned this after replacing an oil soaked alt.

Comment

lower cover $9.14 ea.
                        upper cover $10.67 ea.

+ Fedex fron Korea

Comment

After having snow get inside my cover, freeze overnight, then throw the belt the next morning making me late, I ditched mine. Pulled it all. No snow will stay there now and I have had it that way for 10 years or so. I like the way it looks. I can pop the belt off and on easy. My auto that the kids are driving will stay covered. I won't do it for anyone else either.
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

One of the first things to go
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I guess on a free wheeling engine damage to the timing belt is not critical.
                              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                              X