Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP electric external fuel pump getting to hot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP electric external fuel pump getting to hot!

Hey ppl I have a 1993 auto ford festiva, my motor stuffed up while ago so the wreckers put a new one in. My original motor is carby but for some reason they put an EFI motor and put my Carby on it. They said something about it doesn't have a lobe in the cam for the fuel pump so they have mounted a external fuel pump under my bonnet. My car will only run for about 10-15 before it gets to hot and stalls then I need to wait about 20 for it to cool down and start again. I have been through about 6 external fuel pumps I have tryed mounting it straight from the fuel line under the car but looks like oil is coming out of it? Also pulled the back seat out and tryed from that but there is not much room.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem it's been going on for so long now I just drive a different car miss driving my festy

Your automatic transmission has oil lines and the brakes have fluid. Gasoline coming from a flooded carbon canister or coming from vapor lines can appear oily because of the contamination. If I remember right your set up as received from the wreckers pumped good clean fuel until the add on pump overheated because it did not return fuel to the tank. Maybe you should pull the fuel sender and look in the tank, if the fuel is that bad the poor engine will think you are feeding it diesel.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I remember this thread. I thought about it a while back and wondered if you should block off the return line to the fuel tank. That would keep more pressure on the pump so it may not run itself to death. Should be OK as long as it is a low pressure pump. Just an idea, hope it helps! You could always put in a cam with a lfuel pump lobe on it.
      Last edited by zoe60; 03-01-2015, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks movin and cheers zoe60 yeah I've posted a lot of times

Comment

What it be hard to just put a cam in with a lobe in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedropete91 View Post
            What it be hard to just put a cam in with a lobe in it?
            Its kind of like a timing belt job and a valve adjustment

Comment

Ok no worries. So if I go to the wreckers I look for an EFI motor then pull the cam out which should have a love attached to it? Also if I just want to drive it around for now and i mount the external fuel pump at the back will it matter if the fuel is contaminated and runs threw the pump? Will it cool it better then under the hood? Or will it stuff it up?
              Also if the fuel sender is under the rear seat I have allready pulled it of and looked into the tank it looks clean.
              Sorry about all the questions

Comment

There is no reason why an electric fuel pump will not work as long as you have the return hooked up and good power - ground.
                The fuel flowing through is what cools the motor in the pump. This is a 1.5 to 3lb pump right ? If you have some monster pump
                on there you will not return enough fuel to cool it. It will vapor lock and your car will die.

I am concerned about what you said, the fuel looked like oil? The car won't run right unless it gets good fuel that smells like gasoline .

If you found a carby car and took the cam, the fuel pump, filter and hoses so you have everything and can see where it goes, that might help this problem. Also, it is good ju ju to take the cam followers as well so that no unusual wear happens to the cam lobes.

Comment

The return works perfectly and yes it is. I will take the line off tomorrow and show you a picture of what comes out. Okay so how do I know what the cam looks like? I'm still on learning with cars. you my friend know alot thanks get back to me asap

Comment

I think I know exactly what that is. Ethanol-laced fuel that has been unused for an extended period of time goes through something called phase separation where the ethanol and the gasoline actually separate. Water is produced, and the fuel becomes more of a turpentine. #1 destroyer of in-tank fuel pumps for EFI model vehicles.
                    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

but phase separation doesnt produce water its caused by water in the fuel and it wont turn it black it will be brown and then clear brown /clear as the ethanol and gasoline try to blend back together. If your "CERTAIN" that is coming out of your "FUEL LINE" you need to clean out your tank and replace your pump and filter fast

Comment

If you have 8 lobes and one funny looking lobe on the flywheel end of the cam that is what you want.

The above discussion is awesome, that has to be fixed before any option will work. The mystery of the oily looking fuel..lol

time to double check what you saw and what your plumbing is.

Comment

I will let you know today and send pictures through

Comment

If you get a cam, get the rocker arms that came with it and replace them too. You probably have rollers on it now and they don't work right with an older style cam. It's not that hard to replace. Take off the upper timing cover and get the cam pulley on it's timing marks. Note carefully where the timing mark is on the scale at the bottom. Loosen the timing belt tensioner. Remove the valve cover. Take out the cam pulley bolt but leave the pulley in the belt. remove the rocker arms and the distributor. Take out the little thing that holds the cam in place and the mechanical fuel pump. Remove the Battery. The cam should slide out now. Put everything back together with your new rocker arms and double check timing marks. Then you can bypass the electric fuel pump forever! Note: Be careful slidig the cam into the oil seal. If you mess up the seal you will have an awful oil leak! Don't ask me how I know.
                            Last edited by zoe60; 03-04-2015, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks Zoe60 I might give it ago and get my mate to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X