Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP electric external fuel pump getting to hot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MATE ?? where is Adelaide? wiki ?? somewhere in Australia! Some of the mechanical part of the advise you have received may be different. First look I don't think it is but be thinking that there may have been more than one that missed the Aussi part.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Yeah I'm from australia. I can't find the main petrol line under the car I tryed to run it back from where the filter is but it came out green think this is brake fluid

Comment

image.jpg

Comment

image.jpgb this is what came out of the line. It's brake fluid for sure. I can't find the petrol line anywhere under the car it's doing my life in!

Comment

Movin would the ford festivas be exactly the same here?

Comment

Maybe my fuel return is not good enough to cool the pump

Comment

no the lines were the same on efi and carb if not mistaken just the end hook ups were different. The big one in the pic is your fuel supply just find the one right there with it that goes almost teh exact same route to the top of the tank.

Comment

The routing in the clamps looks the same but the way they spread out is a little different. Can disconnect the bigger fuel line at the top of the tank and push it down or better have someone wiggle it so that you can pick the line from under side for sure?

Comment

just follow the brake lines and which ever 2 you cant trace are the fuel lines

Comment

Originally posted by Pedropete91 View Post
                      Movin would the ford festivas be exactly the same here?
                      I walked to work today, when I get home I will grab the carby one and look.

Comment

I've run Electric pumps with or without returns and they never got hot... Are you guys sure these pumps aren't designed to run on 6 volts? And fyi to the original poster your pump needs to be as close too and bellow to bottom of the tank to work best.(So dont mount it next to the engine) Also whats up with black crap leaking out of the fuel line?Maybe one of his hose's has turned to mush and is collapsing.Thus creating a no flow scenario?
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Well that was easier said than done! Electric fuel pumps burn up every day for one reason or another. Small pumps don't use enough energy to need cooling. There is a reason pumps are located inside the fuel tank now days. No oxygen. Positive sump pressure. Cooling. I wish it worked for Biofuel. lol Cooking oil cooks pumps!

Here is what I found under my carby and it looks the same as my EFI and the Aussi car too! Sure a lot of good ideas, will like to know the whole story on this one!

Comment

A low pressure electric pump for a carby car doesn't use a return line the pump cycles it fills the float bowl the needle and seat closes and the pump gets to rest a minute.If you are running a return line the pump is running continiously . I suspect that's why your pumps aren't living I would cut the rubber return line put a steel rod in it join the other cut end to the rod that way fuel can't flow and vapor from the tank can't escape through the line I bet that will fix your pump life problem.
                            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

I just showed you a picture of the return line!!! lol Yes, the needle and seat on our stock carbs work that way. Yes, our stock fuel pumps run continuously. Your idea would cause vapor lock on a stock system in real hot weather. If you also capped the vapor system and the fuel tank could hold the extra vapor pressure that might work, but in cold weather you would have to let air in the tank or the pump would starve for fuel due to a vacuum in the tank.

If you are talking about a aftermarket low pressure diaphragm pump they can operate with no return if the are near the tank and near the bottom of the tank. Is that good ? No!! It is delivering fuel to the carby at temperatures far warmer than it should be and far warmer than it needs to be because this car is equipped with a fuel return to cool the fuel!! Cold fuel circulating cools the pump. Fuel not circulating will get so hot it can no longer cool the pump.

I have seen this problem from the 70's on until carbies went by by. I fixed this problem countless times since the 70's. I live in an area that causes this problem. I value everyone on here. There is nothing that friends can learn by taking this thread any further with me in it. If OP wants further contact with me please use PM.

Comment

Pmd movin thanks heaps.

Comment

Working...
                                X