I am baffled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twopass View Post
    crankshaft key is missing ,got to be . Pull Plug 1 and bring to it tdc see if timing marks are where they r supposed to be .
    We reset the timing between crank & cam. TDC. Spun the motor twice by hand...tightened down the tensioner...turned the motor with the starter...and still no compression. Brought motor back to TDC by hand...and marks and piston were in sync! (I am not however above re-doing what you suggest. BUT...I looked at the front of the crank pulley...(we had the pulleys off for a bit) and I saw the pin...and I can spin the engine over by hand using the crank pulley)

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
      Pull a plug. stick something in the hole. see if the piston pushes it out. put a finger over the spark plug hole. crank. see how much air is moved.

David
      Did that...and put a compression tester over the hole as well...NOTHING came out...not enough to move the needle anyhow. All 4 cylinders like that. Made me actually wonder if the compression tester was shot, so we pulled a plug from the engine of my buddy's truck...and we got 120 psi on his cylinder...so my gauge is good. We pulled all 4 cylinder plugs...checked all 4...zero readings. (this is me scratching my bald head until it bleeds! )

Comment

Wow, that would drive me nuts, too. Take of the valve cover again and make sure when you are on TDC on the compression stroke that the number one valves are closed. Sounds like cam is out of sync. Good luck. On a side note, I owned a SVO for almost 23 years.
        Last edited by Eaglefreek; 04-12-2015, 09:46 PM.
        Rick
        1993 Ford Festiva
        1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
        1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
        2000 Ford E350

Comment

Good luck but starting sound like time for a rebuild.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
            Wow, that would drive me nuts, too. Take of the valve cover again and make sure when you are on TDC on the compression stroke that the number one valves are closed. Sounds like cam is out of sync. Good luck. On a side note, I owned a SVO for almost 23 years.
            Did that too. If I had hair...I'd be pulling it now.
            Okay...I'll bite...where was that pic taken? In TN? I was there for the SVO reunion in Murfreesboro in '99. That's when I bought mine. Your's looks like an '84. As is mine.
            Last edited by mustang6984; 04-13-2015, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
              Good luck but starting sound like time for a rebuild.

David
              I am afraid you may well be correct. <sigh>

Comment

Hugh,

This will clarify what I said on the phone, post #43 and #44

Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

Comment

Originally posted by mustang6984 View Post
                  Did that too. If I had hair...I'd be pulling it now.
                  Okay...I'll bite...where was that pic taken? In TN? I was there for the SVO reunion in Murfreesboro in '99. That's when I bought mine. Your's looks like an '84. As is mine.
                  No, no palm trees in TN. That's Fort Lauderdale. I lived there most of my life. I went to the reunion in KY back in '05 I think. Yes, '84.
                  Rick
                  1993 Ford Festiva
                  1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                  1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                  2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by bolokid View Post
                    Hugh,

This will clarify what I said on the phone, post #43 and #44

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...w-build!/page5
                    I see what you mean. I cannot tell you at the moment if that is what mine is like...but...(and I know this sounds weird) I HOPE it is. I'll be out there tomorrow (Tuesday) and I will check for that right off. I'll let you know what I find out via text if that is okay...at work...and man...I do hope that is it! Would be a simple fix then!
                    Thanks buddy! If that is it, Next time you are here...I owe you a beer! Maybe wings too!

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
                      No, no palm trees in TN. That's Fort Lauderdale. I lived there most of my life. I went to the reunion in KY back in '05 I think. Yes, '84.
                      Nice looker! Mine is supposed to be gray, but haven't run the numbers yet to find out which of the two grays. (light or dark...I am hoping for the light.) When I got it 2 owners back had painted it ALL DP40 rust red primer. Took forever to get all of it off...found a couple of lousy patch jobs, one which ELIMINATED a body line!!!
                      (Bob up above your post ^ has seen it...but I need to get a battery for it so he can hear it run.)
                      So...all of that is done, I need to find a couple of handfuls of assembly bolts which I will do in the next week or so, then put everything together one more time...check clearances...then blow apart the front end one more time for the gray stuff (different than car color) and then bolt the header panel back into place, put on the nose with the rivets and bolts...then primer...sand and primer and sand then PAINT! Oh yea! Thinking 2 coats of color and 4 coats of clear. One coat will be lost on cut & buff, and then assemble and DRIVE!
                      Then...in rolls the '69 and I get to start ALL OVER again! LOL!!! Never ending world eh?

Comment

If you have no compression at all can't you just turn the crank to set cylinder 1 at TDC and inject compressed air at about 100 PSI through the plug hole and see where the air is coming out.
                        An engine with this many miles will no doubt have some leak around the rings, to stop some of this pour a little oil into the cylinder first.
                        Is this a simplistic and silly idea?
                        New engine is probably the best idea put forward so far though.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                          If you have no compression at all can't you just turn the crank to set cylinder 1 at TDC and inject compressed air at about 100 PSI through the plug hole and see where the air is coming out.
                          An engine with this many miles will no doubt have some leak around the rings, to stop some of this pour a little oil into the cylinder first.
                          Is this a simplistic and silly idea?
                          New engine is probably the best idea put forward so far though.
                          I hadn't thought of that...but I might try it. The engine has miles yes...but not as many as some others here, and not as many as other vehicles I own...so not sure the mileage is really an issue.
                          But I do like the idea of trying to pressurize the cylinder and see if there is a leak somewhere. And no...I don't think it is a silly idea at all. In fact, I think it is a decent idea. It will be on my list of things to try if nothing else works that we have on the list to try.
                          If we try that, and discover something...I'll let you know! Thanks!

Comment

It is unlikely to be a head gasket that has totally failed, so open valves are likely be the culprit. Can you turn the motor over with the rocker cover off to see what has happened?

Comment

Well we have an answer...and it is sad. Appears that the rings have just given out...and that the engine compression is going the wrong way...I.E. it is coming OUT the of the crankcase via the PCV hose under the carb instead of being sucked in.
                              So...appears a tear-down and rebuild is in order. Now comes the decision-making...spend the $$$ on rebuild...or one finishing the Mustang? Both will cost about the same.
                              Thanks for the replies guys. Wish I had better news. Later...

Comment

Working...
                              X