No announcement yet.

1988 festiva with presubably a aspire engine will not crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea already ordered the 1.99 gasket and ill pick up the sealant while im there for the water pump and the inlet pipe. thanks again guys

Comment

Also, do not torque the three little water pump pulley bolts to 45 ft-lbs.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

DON'T torques em to 45? so 40?

Comment

Read this thread. :-)
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

ok so during the swap that vacuum diaphram that is not on the carb but hooks up to the carb throttle assembly. you guys know the one. I need the name or another one the plastic vacuum port broke off and I cant get the thing to idle for anything. Also heads up I need some front springs to put on the back of my festy

Comment

ok guys so where might the short be? driving home from work and noticed the turn sig ind. where very dim about the same time the engine started to lose power. pulled up to autozone. yup as we thought batteries dead. tried to jump it off, booster box was dead too. got to looking while the tech ran around trying to figure out what to do.... noticed the nut that holds on the alternator main wire had come off and with it the wire.... didn't think to unhook the battery connected it and dbl nutted it. hooked up the booster box. burned the main fusable wire. put in a 40 link burned it inhalf same with a 60 soooo.... where should I start looking for shorts, right under the fuse box? or is it the alt? thanks guys

Comment

no one has had this problem before?

Comment

Look around the engine for loose wires or a wire pinched somewhere, as in a mount. If nothing, then find which circuit is the problem. Remove all the fusible links, have the ignition off, and jump each pair of terminals with a test light. If none light up, then there could be a short at the fuse box or positive battery cable. If the Main Link circuit is powered, remove all the alternator connectors and test again. Light staying off = bad alternator or regulator. Beyond that is more testing. It really sounds a lot like an alternator problem to me though.
                  When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Wow, I just saw this thread. My internet has been stupid lately.

Hope you get this worked out.
                    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I love a festy but i dont have the cash to keep it running. Shoulda bought a saturn SL1 or SC1(dont hurt me!)
                      Last edited by 350freak; 05-07-2015, 02:37 PM.

Comment

If there was something cheaper year after year I would have it. I would try an old turbo metro maybe but I doubt it would tow the quads and camp gear into the desert or even close by mountains. My buddies SC1 died after 9 months or so before he put a hitch on it. He got an old 3.8 overdrive ford but that is not so great either but it is still going.
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

i love the festys but my wife is starting to hate them. I fix it 1-2 days later im fixing something else. I keep telling her, " baby before long it'll be a brand new car.... it has new tierods, ends, LCA's, shocks, soon to have new springs in the back(soon as I can find someone with a set of fronts for sale) much newer engine, will have a 5 speed before too long(hopefully) new water pump, plugs, newer dizzy.... see my point

Comment

Is there more than one stud on the back of the Alternator? Or maybe when it came loose it let the inside shift around and short out. Unhook it and see if the short is still there, or put a test light between the bat pos and the stud to see if the stud lights the test light. It should not, with it unhooked of course.

Comment

Originally posted by 350freak View Post
                              i love the festys but my wife is starting to hate them. I fix it 1-2 days later im fixing something else. I keep telling her, " baby before long it'll be a brand new car.... it has new tierods, ends, LCA's, shocks, soon to have new springs in the back(soon as I can find someone with a set of fronts for sale) much newer engine, will have a 5 speed before too long(hopefully) new water pump, plugs, newer dizzy.... see my point
                              Write up a list with prices for a new custom made rifle. Long range rangefinder $2500 used. $6500 bare rifle. Good scope $2800. Reloading equipment $ You see then say you are selling the festy to start a new hobby. Then ask her which wall is getting the new mount when the taxidermist has been paid...lol

If your fusible burns she will say its a cheap hobby you better keep it and fix it !
                              Last edited by Movin; 05-08-2015, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X