Replacing fusible links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing fusible links

One of my fusible links has been giving me some trouble lately on my '88 festiva. So, I've decided to replace all three of them. I can build them, but I'm having a hard time finding the fusible link wire. What gauge wire should I use? I think the three on there are 20 gauge. Is there something else I could do?

Originally posted by spoman View Post
    Is there something else I could do?
    Yes, Use the search engine. Asked and answered many times. Long-legged fuse replacements.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 05-22-2015, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Check out this pic. Most people replace the fusible links with these long legged replacements.The pink 20 amp ones go on either end and the green 40 amp on goes in the middle.http://tinyurl.com/367frs

Comment

Thanks for posting the link for him brave. I just wanted to ask a question about the link/fuse connection longevity.
        GM used to have a waxy silicone substance that was applied to taillight connectors and and the bulb socket. I had a van that had a short and would blow bulbs regularly.
        I sort of cursed that stuff cause it was messy, but the bulb base and contacts always looked like new.
        I tried to get some of it from a GM dealer. Tried several and they didn't know what I was talking about.
        Was wondering if you have ever run across it? I do put a dab of silicone dielectric grease on all of my contacts. I Just liked the GM stuff because it was thicker, sealed well, filled In big gaps and didn't flow away from where it was placed.
        I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by rickbz28 View Post
          Check out this pic. Most people replace the fusible links with these long legged replacements.The pink 20 amp ones go on either end and the green 40 amp on goes in the middle.http://tinyurl.com/367frs
          I talked to the guys at oreilly's and they said not upgrade as you suggest. They suggested sticking with the wire.

Comment

Talk to the guys here. They are the experts.
            Some have had their Festivas for 20 years.
            Almost everyone does the fuse swap.
            I've had mine for 4 years with no problems, they don't corrode.
            If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Did they give a reason for sticking with the links? A 20 amp fuse or a 20 amp link should pop if over loaded. The electrical connectors friction fit to the terminals equally.
              I'm scratching my head on this one.
              I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

They didn't say why. I personally don't see any reason not too. Also, that looks like a 30 amp fuse in your picture. I just thought I'd check. Thanks.
                Last edited by spoman; 05-22-2015, 10:27 PM.

Comment

All of the terminals in the main fuse block are standard male .312" terminals.

As long as you have a mating .312" female terminal, it makes absolutely no difference if it's mated to an external fusible link wire or an enclosed fusible wire. According to the 89 EVTM, PTC is 15A, MAIN is 25A, and HEAD is 15A. According to the 92 EVTM, EGI is 15A.

PTC protected the EFE carb heater and EGI protected the electric fuel pump. HEAD protects the headlamp and alternator (red wire) circuits. MAIN protects your interior fuse panel and alternator circuit (white wire).
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 05-23-2015, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Legally the parts boys can only recommend original. If they recommended an Aspire brake swap, sold you the Aspire calipers, pads, bracket and hoses then you lost your brakes later and were crippled for life, guess where your attorneys will go looking for very large sums of money?

You have to learn about it, then ask for the parts, not advise modifying from stock.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                      All of the terminals in the main fuse block are standard male .312" terminals.

As long as you have a mating .312" female terminal, it makes absolutely no difference if it's mated to an external fusible link wire or an enclosed fusible wire. According to the 89 EVTM, PTC is 15A, MAIN is 25A, and HEAD is 15A. According to the 92 EVTM, EGI is 15A.

PTC protected the EFE carb heater and EGI protected the electric fuel pump. HEAD protects the headlamp and alternator (red wire) circuits. MAIN protects your interior fuse panel and alternator circuit (white wire).
                      If change the main, should I use a 25, 30, or 40 amp fuse? What about the other two? 15, 20, or 30 amps?

Comment

Pink on the outsides, and green in the middle..so left to right: pink-green-pink ... 30-40-30 amp

@ a junk yard you can pull these from other vehicles all day for free

20150526_110506.jpg
                        Last edited by drddan; 05-26-2015, 11:15 AM.
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I went to the Pick a part earlier this year- they had one Festiva- and it had these Pal fuses in the fusible link block. I had to run a hack saw blade up the middle to make them go all the way down in my Festiva, but lots of plastic and it didn't breach the fuses- they fit great=htd

Maybe I'll take pictures in the morning.

I fixed one or two of them in my old "88 Festiva about ten years back- I just got some wire about the same guage- can't recall the size- Not real thin though- They worked fine afterwards.
                          Last edited by harpon; 05-28-2015, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X