Fixing a seized parking brake pivot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
    I am crying for you guys with all that rust !
    Tom, conventional engineering wants to have a smooth shank in the pivot area, does pivoting on threads work long term? does that help keep the pivot clean? Or hold more lube? Just wondering.
    I laugh at conventional engineering.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

You seem to be operating under the delusion that I (a) have a plan, and (b) know what I am doing.....
    Last edited by TominMO; 05-03-2017, 08:58 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

No delusion, just my reality!
      Conventional engineering should never preclude creativity, though I often use it in unconventional ways.
      And of course you know what your doing, it's your reality stream.
      Now where did I put my glasses?......
      No car too fast !

Comment

I too have bolts there and when you think of it there is less surface area amongst the threads to rust and bind however the best rust prevention is to use the *#@ parking brake.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

^ that man speaks the truth!
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

No contest there, the best way to preserve the whole car is to use it!
            No car too fast !

Comment

The other side with the spring is suppose to pivot too correct? Mine are froze to heck and back. Currently have them soaking in Apple Cider Vinegar to remove rust on them.
              Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
              1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
              2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
              2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

On parking brakes: heard a long time ago...........use them all the time , or never.............

Comment

I put mine in a vise one at a time and hit them with penetrating oil and a hammer for a couple of days until they broke free.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                    I put mine in a vise one at a time and hit them with penetrating oil and a hammer for a couple of days until they broke free.
                    OMG, you must have been soooo tired afterwards.....
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I have fixed a couple sets of these using the electrolysis rust removal method. Just get everything hooked up and let run two or three days. Completely de-grease and repaint, also you can spray graphite lube in the moving joints. It dries super hard so it wears off very slowly and will slow down future rust. If you have the graphite lube out you should also do you door latches for a smooth fresh feel.

Also you can still buy new brake adjusters/ ebrake things through fourgreen if you want that fresh OEM zinc look.

Comment

I use a small map gas torch, put the two piece e brake parts in a vice, light torch, apply heat, two minutes late things are free, let cool, now knock out the rivet, you now have two pieces, clean them on a wire wheel, run to the parts store, buy a shoulder bolt with the correct nut, make sure the new bolt is smaller in diameter than the hole you are putting it in, the shoulder bolt is like the rivet you removed, but with a removable nut, when putting back together, I use NAPA Green Grease, it's very good at sealing the area that you just cleaned and it's good at keeping water out, it's main use is for Boat trailer axles. Good luck. oh the Green Grease is good at resisting corrosion.
                        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                          I use a small map gas torch, put the two piece e brake parts in a vice, light torch, apply heat, two minutes late things are free, let cool, now knock out the rivet, you now have two pieces, clean them on a wire wheel, run to the parts store, buy a shoulder bolt with the correct nut, make sure the new bolt is smaller in diameter than the hole you are putting it in, the shoulder bolt is like the rivet you removed, but with a removable nut, when putting back together, I use NAPA Green Grease, it's very good at sealing the area that you just cleaned and it's good at keeping water out, it's main use is for Boat trailer axles. Good luck. oh the Green Grease is good at resisting corrosion.
                          Nice improvements on my effective (but typically half-a$$ed) solutions. :-)

Disaster preparedness

Comment

your way works just fine, my way is just different, it all works.
                            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Working...
                            X