Replacing tranny mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing tranny mounts

Looking to replace the rear tranny mount in the Festy. I want to do it without pulling the motor and tranny. It looks possible, but just for a sanity check tell me if this sounds right:

1. support tranny with jack/block of wood on the left side, under the battery tray
    2. remove nuts from front and rear tranny mounts where they connect to the crossmember
    3. remove the four crossmember mounting bolts; drop crossmember
    4. remove the two fasteners that connect the rear tranny mount to the tranny itself
    5. replace with new mount; reassemble

Sound about right? Any tricks of the trade?
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

I think you will have to drop the front sway bar mounts to get enough room to lower the cross member, I had to on the auto Festy
    No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
      I think you will have to drop the front sway bar mounts to get enough room to lower the cross member, I had to on the auto Festy
      Good point, but I have an Aspire sway bar mounted upside down, so no issue.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

You should be able to drop the rear of the cross member and hold the rear of the tranny up and have clearance.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
          You should be able to drop the rear of the cross member and hold the rear of the tranny up and have clearance.
          Thanks. I thought I might have to drop the whole cross member; we'll see. I'll put a jack under the cross member and use it to gradually bring the tranny/cross member down, just loosening the front two bolts. I have several jacks, so I can also stick one over on the back end of the tranny. I'ma gonna do it Sunday.
          Last edited by TominMO; 05-29-2015, 03:07 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I think I did mine without loosening the cross member at all. Just jack the trans. up a little. It's been about 7 or 8 years though so my memory is a bit foggy. I don't remember it being hard at all. Original trans?

Comment

Originally posted by zoe60 View Post
              I think I did mine without loosening the cross member at all. Just jack the trans. up a little. It's been about 7 or 8 years though so my memory is a bit foggy. I don't remember it being hard at all. Original trans?
              Yup, original.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

May be easier than you think. I remember slapping front and back in mine real quick. Hope it goes well for you!

Comment

You dont have to mess with the crossmember at all if you dont want to, ive done aspire and festy fronts and rear and never taken the crossmember down, just get it on jackstands and use a block of wood under the tranny and jack up the tranny. You'll figure it out, have fun!
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

It is easier to line up the new mount with the crossmember movable.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys!

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Finally got around to replacing the rear tranny mount. Not that hard of a job, but there was a bit of learning curve to it.

The old one actually looked pretty good, but it did seem to have a little more give to it than the new one. When I was under there, I also noticed that an exhaust mounting piece on the downpipe, which was unused and didn't even need to be there, was rubbing up against a metal piece connected to the tranny/motor. That may have been the cause of the clunking, when the tranny moved due to the weakened/softer rear mount. I cut part of it off and bent it out of the way. I will drive the car tmw to see if this issue has disappeared.
                        Last edited by TominMO; 06-03-2015, 07:56 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                        X