Things to do while the transmission is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do while the transmission is out

So i've got my transmission out to replace the clutch, anything else i should do while its off? I got a rear main seal coming then im going to replace as well. Also before i tore it down i had some problems getting into 4th gear (its a 4spd) anything i should look for in the transmission that could cause this? Or could bad shift linkage bushings cause that?

definitely all new bushing including the big rubber one. New engine trans mounts if they look old.

Comment

New axle seals
      New bearings
      New phantom grip lsd
      Dimple world's strongest magnetic drain plug
      Clutch
      Pressure plate
      Flywheel
      Pilot bearing
      Throw out bearing
      Front & rear mounts
      Shifter bushings?
      Last edited by rmoltis; 06-01-2015, 07:10 PM.
      Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Check the steering rack . Depending on mileage .
        New build on the way .

Comment

77k miles

Comment

Put the clutch in and roll .... That's still a new car !
            New build on the way .

Comment

^ Yup !
              +1
              No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_River View Post
                77k miles

In that case

Just phantom grip lsd
                &
                Drain plug magnet.
                Last edited by rmoltis; 06-01-2015, 08:39 PM.
                Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Sorry to disagree with shadetree. But its not a new car. Its a 26 yo car. Age is almost as damaging as miles are. Rust, dry seals, etc.

Example. I knew of a 12 yo car with 26k miles. Went for a ride. Got towed to a shop because the brakes were rusted and would not retract. This car had already had the radiator replaced.

Comment

Bushings and linkage can cause difficulty hitting the gate, transmission oil can cause a slow stiff shift. A bad clutch can too but you should be complaining about additional symptoms for the clutch to contribute to a stiff shift.

Clean up spots that you can't reach with the transmission installed, look at your coolant pipe and the little bypass hoses. Your starter should go for a while yet and its not that hard to do. Look for coolant crusties around the adapter housing to head. Look for oil seeping through the disty, all easy to see with the trans out. Axle seals and boots? Depending on humidity, climate, proximity to salt air or/and salt roads and exposure to sunlight there may be more to check! The best tool is you, touch, feel, jiggle and look carefully! Your girl might tell you that too lol
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Replace the rusted fuel lines to the gas tank. They cannot be removed with the transmission mount in place.

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Every time you remove something you take a risk of maikng it worse than just leaving things as they are, plus the added, and possibly wasted, time and money spent. What I do is look everything over, use a wire brish to clean up any fasters, and smear them with gease to slow down rust in case I need to remove them some day.
                        Last edited by WmWatt; 06-02-2015, 07:54 AM.
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                        X