Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chirping belt / endless screw situation on alternator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chirping belt / endless screw situation on alternator.

I'm guessing that time I had to put that new belt on at 5am on the side
    of the road in the pitch black didn't help the situation. The belt is still on
    there, but the alternator seems to have suffered for it as I believe I
    overtightened the bolt. Now it wont get 100% tight and just keeps rotating
    like an endless screw.

So far it's holding. Yesterday it chirped in first gear almost every time I started
    off on the way to work and so I tightened it when I got home and noticed that
    the bolt just keeps going. I drove it in today to test it and it only chirped once,
    but I'm thinking the alternator is slowly moving back towards the engine and
    causing the belt to slip slightly.

Has anyone ever drilled out their alternator hole and used a bolt with a lock washer
    and nut on the back side with any success? That's pretty much my thought on the
    matter rather than getting a new alternator. I don't feel like spending a bunch of
    money on stuff right now if I can help it and this fix seems cheap, but I'm wondering
    before I ruin the remaining threads on the alternator if I should do that or try and
    tap it out with a bigger thread and use a larger diameter bolt instead. Anyone have
    any ideas?
    1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

If you are spinning the bolt and its not getting tight , there are two possibilities. 1: you stripped the threads in the alternator housing, or 2: you stripped the threads on the bolt itself. If its the first possibility I would do as you suggest and drill out the alternator then add an appropriate bolt with a lock nut. If its possibility 2 I would replace the bolt and see if it gets tight before drilling it out.
    The only way to know is to pull it apart and take a look. I cant think of anything wrong with doing the bolt/lock nut if the alternator threads are stipped. If it just sipns right now there is no good thead engagement anyway so you will need to do something. Good luck.

Comment

Thinking it's gotta be the alternator. Aluminum vs steel bolt. Well, sounds good. I guess I found out what I'll be doing after work on Saturday. Thanks a lot, man

Comment

You don't need to drill it out. Just get a longer bolt with long enough threads to reach all the way through the alternator and put a nut on it.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

I'd add a lock washer to any nut to help keep it from coming loose. Another method it use two nuts and lock them together but that means an extra wrench to unlock them when loosening and it's awkward enough working down there from above
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

lock washer over a flat washer on the bracket side will be best, put the nut on the alternator side.
            next time you have it out for service, heli-coil the hole (8mm x 1.25mm)
            No car too fast !

Comment

Dang, don't know why I didn't think of a helicoil. I just had to put one on the Insight about a month ago since the P/O stripped one of the coil pack mounting threads. I guess the lock washer, washer and nut will work for now. Didn't know the hole went all the way through. I'll helicoil it later. Thanks a lot, guys!

Comment

are you sure its the alternator squeeking? the timing belt tensioners develop a bad sqeek...ask me how I know....

Comment

Not sure at all haha I suppose if it shuts down on me while driving I'll know.

I plan to do a lot on the car soon anyway. Maybe even starting tomorrow.
                  I need to pull the engine, do the front main seal, rear main seal, cam seal, clutch, throwout
                  bearing, a new pilot bearing, spark plugs and wires, clean the throttle body up, new passenger
                  CV axle, new sway bar bushings, timing belt, tensioner w/ spring, fuel filter, air filter, PCV valve...
                  I believe there's more in that box, but I cant remember at the moment. Either way it's time for an
                  overhaul.

Comment

That is ambitious for a saturday !
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

It'll actually have to be done over a couple weekends probably. I work Monday through
                      Friday and now I work on Saturday between 9:45-4pm so I'll be getting a late start.
                      Unfortunately my tools and garage space are at my friends house and he's working
                      10-12 hour days lately so this project will have to wait. I did throw some tint on it
                      this weekend I screwed up the back windshield, but the other ones look pretty
                      good. I ripped the back off, but not bad for my first time doing tint. I actually would
                      have gotten the back ok too, but as I was going to put the rear window tint on an
                      untimely breeze folded the adhesive end before I could spray it with any solution and
                      it just wrinkled like crazy by the time I got it back apart. Also, my heat gone has gone
                      missing so there's that.

Comment

Got the alternator tapped and helicoiled today. We'll see how it holds up and if I got
                        the belt tension correct, but I took it for a quick drive today and so far so good

Comment

Belt tension should be 3/8" deflection. Lay a straight edge across the pulleys and press down midway between with a ruler.
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Hmmmm...wouldn't you check the deflection on the longest run? (ie: the bottom span?)
                            If that's the case I can barely get my hands down in there. Do you just check the top run?

Comment

Working...
                            X