No announcement yet.

thermostat housing swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to know that an Aspire housing can be used (with an Aspire hose). Good on ya for figuring that out.

Since the hoses are pre-formed, I would be reluctant to use the Festy hose with an Aspire housing. But there are the accordion-style hoses that should work with no issues.

But the Aspire housing has no temp sensor in it. Still worth doing if you just had to have the car running. You could rig up a manual switch for the fan to turn it on as needed, while keeping an eye on the temp gauge.

I don't understand your comment in post #9 where you said you didn't need the housing's thermoswitch, because the ECU handles it. But the ECU needs the data from the switch or somewhere else to know what to do. Is this done differently on your carby cars over there? I wonder if this is true of US carby cars too.
    Last edited by TominMO; 07-29-2016, 09:06 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Most all Mazda engines from the time period that we are concerned with when dealing with these cars have the same thermostat housing footprint. Housing shapes , and hose diameters vary, but they almost all bolt up. I'm using an aspire housing on a miata head on my b6d in my 88 festiva. I drilled it out to fit the fan switch. I used a festiva lower radiator hose that I cut to fit. I did this to allow clearance for my airbox and intake when I did the engine swap. It's worked great. Here are a few pictures.

Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
        I don't understand your comment in post #9 where you said you didn't need the housing's thermoswitch, because the ECU handles it. But the ECU needs the data from the switch or somewhere else to know what to do. Is this done differently on your carby cars over there? I wonder if this is true of US carby cars too.
        Our post 97 cars run a Siemens ECU directly out of a Kia Avella and uses the temp sensor input to the ECU to control the output to the thermofan relay

Comment

Working...
        X