90' Festiva head gasket job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jroberson1981 View Post
    I am doing the headgasket and all that I have the intake n exhaust off bit I'm having trouble with the crankshaft pulley and dust cover can someone please help me in the best way to finish getting these off so I can finish doin this job. I have 2 of the 4 bolts off I rounded off the other 2 so I also have to get them off. Please and thank you for the help
    You only need to take off the water pump pulley not the crankshaft pulley. Plus only the top dust cover.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
      All good suggestions. I would add that I have removed those more than once with Vice Grip pliers.
      What about an impact screwdriver? Not sure if it can get in there, but they're really
      cheap at Harbor Freight
      1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Comment

If they are rounded, the bit for it isn't going to fit either, have a pic of them?
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

And yeah, unless you are also replacing the timing belt, you don't have to remove them anyway.

Comment

And yeah, unless you are also replacing the timing belt, you don't have to remove them anyway.
            So how do I take the head off then if I don't need to take the timing belt off

Comment

Get a Haynes manual; save you a lot of time asking very basic questions. The timing belt does not need to come off the crankshaft, just the head. You are going to need the manual for all the torque specs anyway, so just go buy it. Also, on the top timing belt cover, there is a bolt that is hard to get to, in the rear down by the timing belt tensioner. If/when you get that one off, don't put it back in. Cut the upper cover above it, and around the WP pulley so it won't ever rub. The other three are easy to find.
              Last edited by TominMO; 09-04-2015, 09:23 PM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Haynes manual does cover this, and you really should get one, as Tom says. Still. You can loosen the tensioner, pull it back, then tighten the bolt to hold it in place, then slip belt off cam sprocket. Later, you just make sure it is seated properly on the crank and reinstall.

Comment

Here ya go... never mind...link is dead. Couldn't figure out how to delete the entire post. DUH
                  Last edited by jimdigs; 09-05-2015, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Haynes manual does cover this, and you really should get one, as Tom says. Still. You can loosen the tensioner, pull it back, then tighten the bolt to hold it in place, then slip belt off cam sprocket. Later, you just make sure it is seated properly on the crank and reinstall.
                    Thank you.. I do have the manual and just wanted to make sure that's what and how I really could do it.. thank you so much for your help

Comment

Working...
                    X