Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil light flickering on and off. Is this the part I need, probably?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil light flickering on and off. Is this the part I need, probably?

This morning on my way into work I drove about 2 miles and then the oil light started
    to come on so I shut the car down and coasted off the road. I walked home, grabbed
    the other Festiva and went to Walmart for a filter, oil, pan and some shop towels. I
    changed the oil (not sure when the previous owner did...looked ok, but whatever) and
    filled it full of 3.5q. I drove home and as it warmed back up the light started to flicker
    on and off. I shut it down again and there was no oil leaking so I'm thinking the sensor
    for it is bad or something.

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

I found some old threads and people suggested the oil pressure sender. Is that the same
    as the sensor? Not really sure if this is the right part. I have a 1993, but I'd assume the
    1992 is the same and that's the link that leads you to the parts list so I used it.
    1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Can you check the oil pressure? There is a filter in the crankcase which may be clogged. There is a pump which may be worn.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Can you rent an oil pressure gauge from Autozone?
      I installed a permanent mechanical oil pressure gauge from
      sunpro that turned out to be a mistake so I'm hoping there's
      something I can just throw on there to test and then remove.

Hmmmm...what type of filter is in the crankcase and where is it at?

I considered the pump. Hoping it's not though.

Comment

Autozone doesn't rent gauges. Harbor Freight does have one for $25 though

Comment

If it flickers after the oil get hotter and thinner, you might have bigger headaches.

I built my Chevy tight.

10w40 pegs nearly 70psi cold and idling. Warm idle its 20psi.

Food for thought. Good luck.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
          Last edited by jason_; 08-26-2015, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the part I needed when mine did that was an engine. lol

But mine stayed on from cold. I wouldn't rule out a serious issue till I saw what the pressure was.
            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Best ignore what I wrote about a filtre in the crankcase. I recall reading something on here. It may be a screen or magnet, not a filtre.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Its a screen on the pickup tube from the oil pump.
                If you have time the easiest way to check is to take the sending unit (same as sensor) off your good festiva and put it on the bad car and vice versa. If light goes out it probably was the sender. Then with the one from the bad car on the good car run it for a bit. If it lights up it was definatly the sender. If not then you have to look more.
                Could be a loose wire from the sender to the cluster.
                Could be an engine problem.
                Light comes on at 2-5psi
                My festiva idles at 70psi cold in the summer with 10w30. So thats a big problem if its an engine problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, no joke. Well, thanks for all the help so far guys. I'll have to swap over that sensor
                  when I get some time. For now I'll just drive the Insight. I could stop by Harbor Freight and
                  pick up an oil pressure gauge at lunch since it's right next to Taco Bell and I dont have any
                  food today. May not be a bad idea just to have one regardless.

And yeah...that would definitely suck if it was below 5psi. We'll see, I guess. I'll keep you all
                  updated

Comment

Yup, putting an actual guage on would help you way more. If it was not your sender and was an engine problem you would need one anyway to diagnose it

Comment

Yep, definitely. Plus it's an excuse to eat Taco Bell

Comment

Ok, I bought a compression tester. If anyone could point me in the direction of the sensor I'd appreciate it

Comment

Did you buy a compression tester or an oil pressure guage?
                          Compression tester goes in the spark plug holes to measure compression, oil pressure tester threads into the 1/8npt hole after you remove your sending unit. Its right near your oil filter. Sensor with one wire coming off it. Takes a big wrench

Comment

Do'h. Meant oil pressure gauge. They were sitting next to each other and I wasn't thinking, but I got the pressure gauge.
                            Sweet Thanks for that. I'll try and test it tomorrow after work if it isn't raining. Thought it may have been the cluster plugs so I pulled those off but they look fine so I'll check the wire/plug coming off of the sensor and do the pressure test

Comment

How much oil should I expect to come out? I'm currently living I'm an apartment

Comment

Working...
                              X