Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil light flickering on and off. Is this the part I need, probably?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think none unless you have to take your oil filter off to get it. Just lay some cardboard down. I aways have the oil filter off first because that just makes it easier and i never worried about the mess...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome I'm sure I'll make some time this weekend to check this all out. Thanks again for all
      of the help so far, guys!
      1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Comment

I just changed my oil today, its above and to the left of the oil filter if your laying underneath. Right beside the block heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

there is maybe simply decays on the coating of the wire of oil pressure sensor that makes short circuits with the cars body,or maybe problem is with your oil pressure sensor.

Comment

The Festiva oil pressure sensor is an hooked to an idiot light. The light comes on when the switch grounds out at low pressure. You do not know what the real pressure is. We must determine if the sensor is grounding at the correct pressure.
            Most people just replace the switch without testing.

Comment

It's literally been raining every single day so far. I haven't even had the chance to look at it yet.
              Even worse, went out there to start the car and it wont start. Either I got a bad battery or there's
              a power draw somewhere that will diminish the battery over the three or four days. I didnt leave any
              lights on or anything.

So, when I bought the car it had no issue with the oil light. I drove it home over an hour and half
              and it drove great. I drove it for a few more days and then swapped in a tach cluster. I'm pretty
              sure the next morning is when it started to have the issue. I pulled the tach cluster and reinstalled
              it thinking maybe something was wrong with it, but it did the same thing. No oil light at first, but
              after a bit of idling it started to flicker on and off again.

I really need the weather to be nicer for at least one flippin day. Stupid tropical storm or whatever it was.

Comment

Funny how one piece of information changes everything.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I actually kinda forgot about the tach cluster. I was going back through all the stuff I did on
                  the car and couldn't think of anything til I parked my other Festiva at my brother's last night
                  and turned my Festiva off and it didnt buzz for the headlights. I've been driving the Insight
                  a lot lately so the Festiva's have been getting neglected *sigh*

Either way, not sure that's what would cause the issue. I should probably check the old
                  cluster and see if the bastard removed the bulb for the oil light. I really didn't like that old
                  guy. Would swapping in the tach cluster make the oil light have issues? This cluster had
                  no issues when it was in my other Festiva.
                  Last edited by SWRT; 09-02-2015, 05:44 AM.

Comment

I am currently having almost this exact same problem. I pulled the oil filter off and dumped the oil into a clear cup. It was way more watery than it should be. It's mixed with something and pretty sparkly. I'm thinking my phantom coolant loss is actually leaking into the oil.

Side note. Isn't the capacity with a new filter 4 quarts?
                    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Mine didnt seem to be leaking coolant and showed no signs of headgasket failure.
                      And I think it was like 3.6q with a filter. I'd check my manual, but I drove the
                      Insight today. I think I always just fill it with 4.
                      Last edited by SWRT; 09-03-2015, 05:11 AM.

Comment

I was having a problem with my fuel gauge for about a year , it would work some times then stopped all together.
                        Then my tach started bouncing.
                        It was driving my crazier .
                        Greg suggested that my plugs were loose to the tach cluster.
                        They seemed tight when I pulled it.
                        I cleaned all the pins on the back with sandpaper & reinstalled it .
                        Both my fuel gauge & tach now work perfect.
                        Wow, I made a long story out of that.
                        If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by navdoc101 View Post
                          I was having a problem with my fuel gauge for about a year , it would work some times then stopped all together.
                          Then my tach started bouncing.
                          It was driving my crazier .
                          Greg suggested that my plugs were loose to the tach cluster.
                          They seemed tight when I pulled it.
                          I cleaned all the pins on the back with sandpaper & reinstalled it .
                          Both my fuel gauge & tach now work perfect.
                          Wow, I made a long story out of that.
                          Hey, maybe I'll try that then. And the plugs for good measure
                          New contact may make a difference

Comment

Working...
                          X