No announcement yet.

this is bad...... any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bsirvine, I believe you have stated that backwards; if you apply anti-seize to the threads, you should "lessen" the torque. Anti seize acts as a lubricant and the threads will end up with easily 30%, or more, clamping force than if the threads were clean and dry. After a time, this can cause the plugs to be impossible to remove in an aluminum head. Spark plugs need only enough torque to assure a seal and stay put. Mike
    90 Festiva L

Comment

Mike:

I think we are probably saying (or meaning) the same thing, only differently. Say the torque value for dry and clean is 16 ft/lbs (To my recollection this IS the actual value). If the threads were lubed with antiseize the plug would spin easier and so you'd have to increase the amount of torque (Maybe to 20 ft/lbs?) to get the plug equally as tight. Otherwise, the plug could also untighten itself (vibration, etc) easier because its threads were lubricated.

No big deal, no use getting into an argument over. I'll torque my plugs in to the value in the manual (Haynes and/or Factory) DRY and CLEAN. Everyone else can do whatever they want.

Comment

this happened to my old festiva, they were the original plugs at like 120k on the clock!,..

dont worry, i totally sh*t my pants when this happened to me. you just need to go see a snap-on,matco etc etc tool guy, maybe craftsmen.

they sell a easy-out type socket with a twisted shapened end, kind of like an easy-out.

These tools are made for this job and mine came out in about 5 minutes, it just takes a little muscle to get the tool to bite into the metal.

this is whatcha need.

Comment

wow you pulled the head!? yikes! a $37.00 extractor set and 5 minutes, wala...

Comment

Yeah, well whack my pee pee.

Comment

My Ford shop manual says 10 to 17 ft-lbs of torque.

You do not want to go up on the torque when adding anti-seize.
              As Slomoe stated it will act like a lubricant, so torquing to 17ft-lbs with anti-seize would actually create a greater force on the plug than if installed dry.

I have always used anti-seize on mine and torqued to around 13 to 15 ft-lbs and I have never had one back out.
              ~Jeff
              1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
              1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
              2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

Working...
              X