Idle Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Adjustment

Since Madness I have been driving the 93 5-speed Festiva (aka the 350 car). The PO had set the idle speed at 2100 rpm so I tried slowing it down some using the air mixture screw on the top of the throttle body but even closed all the way it was still idling @ 2000. I took a look at the "do not adjust/set at factory" (according to the shop manual) adjustment screw down below the base of the throttle cable cam on the throttle body. The 8 mm squirrel nut was loose so I know the PO had adjusted it. I adjusted it to slow the idle speed some but would like to get things back to factory specs.

How should this be adjusted?

Thanks.

A rule of thumb for me, it works..I clean the throttle plate, both sides and the bore. I warm the engine. I disconnect and cap both sides of the tube going down to the idle control. I adjust the throttle closed until it just starts to stick then I screw the screw in one turn. I start the engine again and set the idle to 700 using the big screw on top under the rubber cap. Hook it all back up. Drive it 3 times to let the computer adjust itself. After that I evaluate the little stuff if at all. Big stuff like the idle control being screwed up you will know before you do any driving.

Gotta love these simple little things!
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
    X