Replacing tie rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing tie rods

I'm replacing the tie rods in a spare rack I have, which I intend to swap into the Festy. Rack has 77K miles and is from a 92. It has the locking pin holes in the steering shaft itself, not the roll pin hole in the wrench flats on the tie rod. My 90 has the same style holes.

I've tried everything except heat to get the tie rods out. The two locking pins are out (they are very short BTW), and I've even drilled down into the holes in case there was more to remove than what I was aware of. I've tried PB Blaster on the tie rod threads, and hammering on the wrench to set up vibration. Neither tie rod is budging. Any ideas?
    Last edited by TominMO; 11-08-2015, 06:15 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

My only guess would be - more leverage. I know when they're installed in the car I've had to put some pretty serious sh*t on them to get them loose. If you're trying to do them on a bench, I'm betting it will take quite a bit of leverage to get them loose

Comment

Originally posted by jbibb1 View Post
      My only guess would be - more leverage. I know when they're installed in the car I've had to put some pretty serious sh*t on them to get them loose. If you're trying to do them on a bench, I'm betting it will take quite a bit of leverage to get them loose
      I've got the rack in a vise, and it's not moving around. There is also a risk of breaking the bushing if too much force is applied. They broke loose fairly easily when I did them on my Aspire, so I'm thinking that's not the problem.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

You just missed this thread......
        Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Mapp heat was the only thing that would get mine to loosen up.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
            OK, Lowes it is to get this MAPP torch. Any special tips/instructions/warnings to use it? I have never used flame to work on stuff before.
            Last edited by TominMO; 11-08-2015, 10:25 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I've only used a propane torch. It only works for a few seconds so you have to work quickly and stop applying pressure after it stops turning. If you keep the pressure on when it starts to cool you can brake the part. It might have to be heated more than once to get it off. I also think it helps to use pentrant in conjunction with heat, at least it seems to help when I do it. If working on the car instead of on the workbench I make heat shields out of sheet metal, flattened cans and things, to protect rubber parts and such so I don't accidentaly fry them. I don't recall wearing goggles but some might recommend it. Good luck.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I bought an oxy/Propane , oxy/mapp setup years ago before I bought my oxy/acetelyne setup I highly reccomend it. It creates enough heat for most DIY needs including light cutting and welding. I still use it sometimes when my torch tanks are empty.
                Last edited by ricko1966; 11-11-2015, 01:39 AM.
                30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Went to Lowes and ended up buying this one instead. For $7 more you get to adjust the flame size. FWIW. Hope to get to it this afternoon.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 11-11-2015, 07:35 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Tom you need more leverage! I use a big pipe wrench and I've never even taken out the pins.
                    I just use the biggest one I could fit under the car. And with it being off any size would work possibly turning the rack so the tie rod is up against the rack will give it some support and keep from damaging the bushing? Just a thought.
                    good luck hope the heat is the ticket for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X