No announcement yet.

Still Bucking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd put the front end up on stands and start the engine, then play with it, run though the gears, again with one foot on the brake to simulate being under load, to see if the problem occurs and under what conditions. Could help narrow it down to electrical or mechanicals.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

You know, I had this happen to my car before, maybe 5 years back, and it was one of the wires to my dizzy.

Then very recently, the exact same problem cropped up with Trouble, the car my friend bought from SkeetersKeeper. I just grabbed that wiring by the plug, gave it a twist and the problem went away. Plan on replacing that wiring soon.

I have Little Blue Car in my yard for months now, and just the other day, diagnosed(I think) the same problem. This time, I could get the car going, barely, then I grabbed that wiring and twisted, car won't even take off, just dies. Going to wire in a new connector soon.

Worth a try, right? I know the symptoms were almost identical to a bad TPS, and our wiring is not getting any younger. Soon it will be time for a wiring harness supplier.
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

yeah, if you are getting a failure from applying pressure to the manifold, it could be a vaccum leak(failed gasket). otherwise, maybe something is up with the fuel rail? maybe clogged injectors(oe fuel filter??). However, i'd bet on a vacuum leak.

Comment

instead of starting fluid i would use brake fluid for checking for vacuum leaks, this will produce a stumble and is easy to recognize. this is a better idea than starting fluid, because, there is always the potential for damage when using starting fluid. Seems like everything in this thread has pretty good suggestion. also test around the injector o-rings, unlikely however, but maybe something bumped an injector.

If you wanted to be adventurous(and the end result being undeniable), make a home made smoke machine, fill you intake full of smoke and where ever smoke comes out you'll recognize as the leak. also, there are 'pro' machine for this stuff, but, expensive..

Comment

I finally have a day off tomorrow (or later today if that's how you want to see it) and I'll check the intake/injectors then. I'll report back with results.

If it's not that, I'll blow some smoke through the system somewhere to try to look for a vacuum leak. I'll also post back here. I also forgot to mention that it seems like the car decelerates pretty rapidly. As soon as I let my foot off the pedal it kinda lurches back a little bit.

Comment

Working...
            X